Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi ArchStant, most likely you are logged into a temporary profile, because that update failed to remove the temp profile used for the update and restore your user profile . .

Before you do anything or move any files around
Restart (not shut down) your PC 3 or 4 times, this will fix this issue a lot of the time, because it will prompt Windows to restore your default profile . ..

Otherwise:

Please open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Users
Do you see two user folders that look like yours?
Open those folders and check inside Pictures, Documents . . . etc. and see if your files are there

If your files are there:

Create a new user profile with Admin privileges
Copy all your data from the old profile to the new profile (Documents Library, Pictures Library . . . etc.)

If you still have not found your files, look for a Windows.old folder on your C Drive, expand that to open the users folder contained inside - check there for your files, icons . . .etc.

If you do find your files . . . etc. there, copy them out as soon as possible as Windows will remove the Windows.old folder in time

NOTE VERY IMPORTANT: Do Not copy your files into the Temporary profile you are currently in, when the situation is corrected, your files will be deleted with the Temporary Profile and will not be recoverable !!

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Dave, really appreciate the speedy help.

I've re-started 4 times and unfortunately all my old user files are still in the .000 folder. My old(normal) folder - containing nothing but "WPR_initiated_WprApp_WPR Internal Heap Collector.etl" inside Appdata/Local/Temp - is right next to the .000 folder. You mention that I'm likely logged in as a temporary profile.  Start Manager/Users appears to show me logged in as my normal user name, though my normal Desktop user icon/link takes me straight to the new .000 folder when I double click it. Is there any other way to confirm if I'm logged in as a temp profile, or not? maybe it doesn't matter at this stage?

I appreciate the .000 folder is in scope for being deleted by the system (eventually), but, can I not simply copy all my old files in the .000 folder and drop them into my normal/non-.000 folder, after all the path to this non-.000 folder is what's required by these programs depending on it. Of course, I'm assuming my normal/old/non-.000 folder is not in scope for deletion? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dave, I see you've posted elsewhere many times since my reply above: any chance you might want to come back and follow up on my new queries. Your solution did not work.

Alternatively, can someone else follow up on my new questions? or is this just a copy and paste exercise to gaining points quickly?

We clearly have a problem with how 1903 is installing. We don't wan't folks User folder getting deleted through update 'issues', once again.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Arch

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd and hit Enter

In the resulting Command Prompt window, run this command and hit Enter:

whoami

What exactly is returned form that command

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again Dave,

I'm very keen to get this resolved quickly!! - there's a bunch more programs with issues e.g. Outlook (I can't see any of my emails...including incoming!!). WHY, if the fix is to get the original User folder re-defaulted and re-populated, hasn't Microsoft pushed out a simple fix??? - it absolutely HAS to be simple since MS are asking users to do it manually. (many apologies to you - my frustration is directed to MS)

Anyway, back to your above reply...

In PowerShell, whoami returns:  "CorrectUsername\CorrectUsername"  --> i.e. I think things look ok here

PowerShell also defaulted to the following location: "C:\Users\CorrectUsername.000>" --> i.e. we're back to the temp ".000" as a path default

So I'm not sure what this means in regards to how best to fix this problem.
However, back to your second solution, where you say:

"Please open Windows File Explorer 

Navigate to C:\Users 
Do you see two user folders that look like yours? 
Open those folders and check inside Pictures, Documents . . . etc. and see if your files are there "

-->Yes, there are two folders that look like mine - the second(new) one has the ".000" appended, and, that second folder has all my User files. I have copied all these files elsewhere (to a non-C drive) in case this temp folder gets deleted soon. 

Can I ask if, as you then say, I create a new user profile (and copy my .000 files there) - will I then lose my old original user name and will this new name cause issues with the expected paths of some of my programs - if they're hard wired to include my old username in the path name?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Arch

I am glad you have backed up your data just in case . . .

With this problem a lot of user copy their data into the temp profile and when that profile deletes itself all data is lost, that is why the best option is to create a new user profile

With that being said, form your detail, do you have applications that are hard coded to look in a specific user profile for data?

Click your Start Button, then just type netplwiz and hit Enter

How many user profiles are listed on the resulting dialog?

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cheers,

netplwiz returns 3 entries listed in the Users tab: my MS hotmail email, ASPNET, and HomeGroupUser$

Task Manager Users tab shows 1 entry - my MS hotmail email.

The MS hotmail email is the same one I use for my MS store log in.

I'm not sure which programs would use my old(correct) User name as part of a path, it's just the (reasonable?) possibility that some might? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Arch

Honestly, I think the only way to resolve this mess created by Windows Updates, is to create a new user profile, move your data to that profile and delete the other profiles from netplwiz, there is going to be no other way at this point, since restarting did not fix this bug . . .

Power to the Developer!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I created a new account as you said above, copied all my old user files (in the ".000" folder as above) into this new account, and well...not too good

I've had my PC running in this configuration for about 3 years and installed quite a number of programs, including all applicable updates, over that time. I guess you'd call me an advanced user, having been in this game for many years, and using my PC for non-professional audio production, video editing etc. With this, many of my programs have been specifically configured with various paths - that took months/years to fine-tune!! Before the 1903 update a couple of days ago, my PC was performing well. After this update well, not so good. My taskbar jumplists have disappeared, my (stardock) desktop fences have disappeared. Paths are wrong. Etc etc.

The 1903 update is not working for me and I'd suggest that the scope of this 'issue' extends down to even those who use their PC's for surfing only.

Update: I've managed to roll back to the version before 1903 and it was a painless and pretty fast process, so thanks due to MS for that. 

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions Dave.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update: I've managed to roll back to the version before 1903 and it was a painless and pretty fast process, so thanks due to MS for that. 

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions Dave.

Hi ArchStant,

You said you Rolled Back the upgrade.  Did that sort out your incorrect user.000 profile/folder, and get you really back to where you were before the upgrade.  I have the same problem, and am thinking of Rolling Back, but would love to hear from someone who has done that successfully.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2020 Views 9,892 Applies to: