Updated camera driver (SPUVCBv_x64.sys) in Windows 10 (2004) is causing a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

The system is a Lenovo Helix notebook (3697CTO) with a front facing camera by SunplusIT.  It was updated from Windows 10 version 1909 and when the Windows 10 camera app was opened the system crashed with a blue screen indicating that the camera driver SPUVCBv_x64.sys caused a system service exception.

Inspecting the problem file, the version was 6.0.0.1 with a file date of 27-Jul-2015.

The system was rolled back to 1909 and the camera worked fine.  The driver file version at that time was 5.0.0.93 and dated 15-Mar-2013.

Checking the Lenovo website, the most recent driver available is 5.0.0.93 so the system was then upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 and the camera drivers were uninstalled and reinstalled from the older Lenovo release (5.0.0.93).  The camera app now works with the front facing camera.

Since the new driver is incompatible with the current hardware, how do I prevent Windows Update from replacing the original SPUVCBv_x64.sys file with a newer broken version?

Answer
Answer

Jan, I tried that and it still didn't work so I checked the policy settings and saw I had set "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device instance IDs".  I changed it to 'Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" and it disabled the device.  I needed to enable "Allow Administrators to override Device Installation Restriction policies" in order to install the correct drivers.

The camera now worked so I turned off "Allow Administrators to override Device Installation Restriction policies" thinking this would be a good way to lock the setting.  However, the device was immediately disabled.  For some strange reason I need to leave "Allow Administrators to override Device Installation Restriction policies" set to enabled.

Thanks.  This solution works.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I'm Jan an Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I want to apologize if you encountered this issue. I understand you have a problem with your computer not working properly.

Please try these steps.

Let windows install the latest driver

Open device manager

Right-click on your device and click "update driver"

Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

Select the version from there you can select version of the driver.

You can also prevent windows from updating the specific driver. Please check the link below.

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2024 Views 8,656 Applies to: