Update stopping computer from booting. HOW DO I REMOVE IT?

Hi, i installed an update that has caused one of my computers to stop booting altogether. How can i do this from recovery???  I dont want to reinstall the computer.

Hi, i installed an update that has caused one of my computers to stop booting altogether. How can i do this from recovery???  I dont want to reinstall the computer.

Whilst booting the computer tap the F8 key to get into Safe Mode boot options list.

Select Last Known Good Configuration ( Advanced ).

Press Enter.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Whilst booting the computer tap the F8 key to get into Safe Mode boot options list.

Press Enter.

Tried this and it does not work.

Dudefoxlive

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Press Enter.

Tried this and it does not work.

Often a Start-up Repair, etc. disk will work where the built-in Repair Software won't

Make your own System Repair Disk from the information in this Tutorial or from the prior information:

"How to Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

"This will show you how to create a Windows 7 system repair disc to be able to use to boot to system recovery options to help recover your Windows 7 installation if you don't have a Windows installation disc, can't find your Windows installation disc, or can't access the recovery options provided by your computer manufacturer.

A system repair disc is not able to install Windows 7.

Note

If you are unable to boot your Windows 7 to create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc, then you could create it on another computer to use on your computer."

Then use that Disk for the System Recovery Options:

"System Recovery Options"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

"How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

But if you do not have access to another Windows 7 machine with the same "bit" version use this method to make a disk, from which you can also use the Startup repair options:

You can use this for preinstalled OEM or Retail Licenses

Download the correct ISO file and make your own disk and use the Product Key that is on the COA Sticker.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Download: Windows ISO Downloader.exe
Version: 6.00
Release Date: 11 April 2018
Requirements: Windows 7 or newer, .NET Framework 4.x, Internet Explorer 8 or newer.

Important: As of Version 6.00, we're adding back an experimental feature to generate links for Windows 7 and Office 2010. Generation of new links for these products is throttled, and not every download is always available in every language. New links are generated on a first come first served basis, with users who enable the idle resource donation getting preferential treatment. If you have further questions, please use the WinCert Forum to get in touch, so that other users can also benefit from the discussion.

And here are instructions on how to burn ISO images to disk:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ISORecorder.html

You change the Boot Order in the BIOS to be able to boot from your installation media:

How to Boot Your Computer From a Disc or USB Drive

:

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If it was my system I would perform a System Restore to the date/time prior to the updates - Windows Update always creates a Restore Point before installing updates and that is for a good reason.

If you have lots of time you can try lots of things but doing things is usually better than trying things.

LKGC is unlikey to work unless the problem is a driver or a registry problem (unlikely with Windows Update).

Startup Repair is unlikely to work since the system sounds like it might at least be attempting to boot, you you can sure give that a try if you have some Windows 7 bootable media (most people don't).

From the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu you can choose Repair Your Computer and perhaps get to the Windows System Recovery Options and choose System Restore.

If you don't have any bootable Windows 7 media (CD/DVD or USB) now would be a good time to make some - perhaps you will be able to do that with the ideas from Bill Smithers.  Think about what you are going to do the next time this happens and how are you going to fix it?

Plus you have not described any symptoms of the non boot scenario...  Do you get a Blue Screen of Death, does the system just restart, do you get some other error message, etc.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The information at the Recovery options link gives you system restore amongst the things to do <sigh >

Then use that Disk for the System Recovery Options:

"System Recovery Options"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2019 Views 113 Applies to: