Update rolls back after reboot

Original Title: Cannot install latest update, after reboot rolls back. Please help :)

As title suggested I have just tried updating to the latest security update but after it reboots it just crashes and rolls back, I have put below what appears in the CBS.log which looks to be causing the problem.

I have no idea what it is I have disabled fastboot etc etc but this is a brand new computer purchased about 2 days ago.

2016-04-15 07:56:31, Info                  CBS    Failure in poqexec.exe while processing updates. [HRESULT = 0x80070011 - ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE]
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    Attempting to remove poqexec from SetupExecute
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    Removed poqexec from SetupExecute.
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    Configured poqexec to not pend to SetupExecute.
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    Reporting poqexec status with status: 0xc00000d4, failed file: journal.dll, interfering process: , context: Shutdown, first merged sequence: 56
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    SQM: poqexec report datapoints not populated because SQM is not initialized or not running online.
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Error                 CBS    Shtd: Failed while processing critical primitive operations queue. [HRESULT = 0x80070011 - ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE]
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    SetProgressMessage: progressMessageStage: 4, ExecuteState: CbsExecuteStatePrimitives, SubStage: 0
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    Progress: UI message updated. Operation type: Update. Stage: 0 out of 0. Temporary Rollback.
2016-04-15 07:56:32, Info                  CBS    Shtd: progress thread terminating. [HRESULT = 0x00000000 - S_OK]

Thanks

Hi Matthew,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the following got us to troubleshoot the issue better:

1. Are you getting this error while trying to install the updates?

2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

This issue may arise when there are issues with the Windows update components. Try the following methods to fix the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter, it will detect and resolve the most common issues with the Windows updates. To do so, follow the link below. You may also follow some other common solutions on the same articles.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Method 2: Reset Windows Update components

If the issue is with the Windows update components, this method will resolve the issue by repairing all the components associated with it. Click on the link below and follow the article on the same.

How do I reset Windows Update Components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this information was helpful. Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the quick response :) I am away from the computer as I am at work at the moment however.

1. I am getting the error after the computer restarts to apply the update.

Windows Update downloads update > Prompts for Restart > Installing goes to 16% > Computer Turns off and on again > Windows applying update > Fails to apply update and rolls back.

2. I have only had the computer a few days but when I first got it I reset it to a clean version of windows using Windows 10 built in reset setting.

After installing windows I installed drivers/etc for the computer.

I have run the Windows update troubleshooter and it just threw back a "Couldn't identify the problem"

I also tried to reset windows update components using the manual method, most of the steps worked fine but step 3. "Delete the qmgr*.dat files. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter: "

When I ran this command it could not find the qmgr*.dat file, I still went ahead with all the other steps but the issue is still present.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same problem. My c:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS*.log files contains the vital lines:

CBS    Shtd: Failed while processing critical primitive operations queue. [HRESULT = 0x80070011 -ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE]

CBS    Failure in poqexec.exe while processing updates. [HRESULT = 0x80070011
 - ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE]

It would be nice if these CBS*.log files could give a hint as to what package is not able to be copied into it's destination. 

I've learn that this poqexec program (a native-mode program) is not able to copy files across partitions.

Which could be caused by e.g. '%ProgramFiles' pointing to e.g. 'f:\ProgramFiles' (and not 'c:\ProgramFiles'.).

IMHO, a real design flaw in Windows.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

GisleVanem pointed me in the right direction.  Thank you so much.

I was also getting the same errors in my CBS.Log file.   My system had failed about 7 different times (over the past few days) installing Windows security update KB3176493.

After reading through this thread, I was convinced that the root cause was me editing the registry about a week and half ago.   I have a small SSD that windows is installed on.   It's a new laptop.  I installed a large SSD as a secondary.   So, I wanted to default new program installations to the E: drive instead of C:

It was working pretty well until this :-)   Anyway, once my registry changes (for the path where it looks for program files and program files (x86)) were reverted to point to C:, I got the update again and rebooted.   The update appliced this time.   I think I'll leave my registry as-is and just remember to manually point to the secondary drive each time.

Maybe the OP had the same cause(?) 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 19,675 Applies to: