Unprotected \program files (x86) folder?

I recall back with an earlier version of Windows, and I can't recall if it was XP, Vista, or 7, that I could not make it so that a folder for a game in \program files (if it was XP) or \program files (x86) was unprotected from standard/limited users saving files in it (for saved games) and I had to make a new folder in C:\games to install the game, so I could make the C:\games\gamename\saves folder available for standard/limited users to save their game into.

Fast forward 10 years with Windows 10, and I had created a C:\program files (x86)\batch\ for storing some batch files I'd made, and added it to the command line path environmental variable.

Just now, I was logged in as as standard user and wanted to add a new batch file to that folder. I used cut and paste in Explorer, and expected to get prompted by UAC for elevation, which did not happen.

I (and presumably other users) can easily add files into that folder.

Has something changed with Windows security so that subdirectories in \program files (x86)\ are no longer so stringently protected?

I recall that even changing the security permissions would not affect the protection in older versions of Windows (or maybe the changes were just ignored, I forget. It's been a few years).

I know how to fix the security permissions, I'm just wondering how long it has been possible.

OK, I just checked the security permissions, and I should not have been able to copy the file at all. Only the Administrators group has write permission (or full control).

Any idea how I was able to copy a file into this folder when logged in as the standard user "Slick"?

Access to system folders is primarily governed by your UAC settings. I suspect they are not at the correct level:

BTW, putting own batch files into a system folder is not a good idea, if only because this makes it much harder to edit them. Much better to put them into their own folder, e.g. C:\Batch, den include this folder in the %path% variable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

UAC is at the highest level, one notch higher than your picture.

Also, if I understand the security permissions correctly, I shouldn't have been able to copy at all (without UAC elevation). With UAC disabled it should have just failed since I wasn't logged in as the admin. With it enabled, it should have prompted me for credentials for the admin account. If I'm wrong, or missing something I should have checked, let me know.

As for the batch files in the program files folder, that is sorta of momentum from Windows 95. I've got one that I've used since Win95, and just copied the batch file folder from computer to computer for over 20 years.

---
Please don't tell me I don't want to do something without also providing the information requested.
Also assume a budget of $0.01 unless otherwise stated or I ask specifically "Where can I BUY..."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like UAC is broken on your machine, perhaps because EnableLUA is set to 0 here:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, it is set to 1.

---
Please don't tell me I don't want to do something without also providing the information requested.
Also assume a budget of $0.01 unless otherwise stated or I ask specifically "Where can I BUY..."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2021 Views 852 Applies to: