Protect Yourself From Tech Support Scams
July 29, 2020
Protect Yourself From Tech Support Scams
Tech support scams are an industry-wide issue where scammers trick you into paying for unnecessary
technical support services. You can help protect yourself from scammers by verifying that the contact is a
Microsoft Agent or
Microsoft Employee and that the phone number is an
Microsoft global customer service number.
Two days ago I tried Port Forwarding for a game. Immediately after opening the port I lose all internet access. I followed by deleting the port to no avail. I tried troubleshooting the ethernet connection and kept getting No Valid IP Configuration and
after googling to problem have tried a ton of things.
Here's a list:
-diagnosing through the ethernet connection
-Manually entering IP, Subnet mask, Default Gateway, and DNS servers into Internet Protocol Version 4.
-Restarting my computer by unplugging Power Chord
-Restarting Router with power chord and hitting the reset button
-Resetting Network through Windows
-Recovering last update
-Fresh installing windows keeping files
-Calling ISP for them to say they see me changing my IP, but my computer isn't recieving data.
-Clearing all devices in my router via the browser.
-Uninstalling and reinstalling network adapter
-Restarting DHCP and getting denied Access
-Checking if DHCP was on auto and running
-Disabling and Re-enabling Ethernet Connection
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
Here's a few screenshots View: https://imgur.com/a/i3Oe9lZ
MSI gaming M5 2070 motherboard
System Restore is your first line of defense and can take you back to a point before a problem began. If it doesn't help then you can undo it. Read about it first in the tutorial above and then try restoring to just before this started.
2) Right click the network icon in System Tray at bottom right end of task bar to Troubleshoot Problems. Choose "I'm having a different problem" and then "Troubleshoot Network adapter."
3) Try powering off modem, router and PC and then restarting in that order with 1 minute in between each.
5) Update your network adapter drivers from the PC maker's Support Downloads web page using the full model number, HP Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker. Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device
Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.
6) If you have the latest network driver then try on it's Driver tab also to Roll Back, or Uninstall and then restart PC to reinstall the driver. Try also all older drivers from Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick list working backwards.
7) Go to Device Manager > Network Adapters, select Ethernet adapter, then Power Management tab, clear the check box to "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save energy." Then on the Advanced tab disable any energy-saving options.
10) Right click the network icon in System Tray at bottom right end of task bar to Troubleshoot Problems.
11) If you're plugging into a router then try plugging into the modem directly. Try turning off Modem and PC, wait 15 minutes to turn back on the modem, then the PC.
12) You also are entitled to Support from your internet provider to get online on all devices. This is always included in the monthly bill. If your router is less than a year old they will also Support getting it connected and optimized.
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly
research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
Windows MVP 2010-20
Over 100,000 helped in forums in 10 years I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative. I will walk you through any steps and will not let you fail.
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.