Unexpected I/O error has occured. Status: 0xc00000e9 Windows 7 boot manager

Original Title: Windows 7 boot manager

I recently bought a 3TB seagate hardrive and have been using it externally on two of my comupters. I keep getting this error: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer... Status: 0xc00000e9 Info: an unexpected I/O error has occurred.  I think some of my programs run off my hardrive and I unplugged it accidently.Now whenever I try to run my computer (with or without the hardrive, tried both ways) it gives me the same errors. When I try to use the System Repair it says: Windows is loading files... Then the Windows Boot Manager comesup (it asks me to hit ENTERor ESC, but when I try to hit either of those nothing happens, so I hit the power button to shut it off manually and try everything all over again) If I try Start Windows Normally it will get stuck at "Starting Windows" with the windows logo flashing. Or I get: autochk program not found - skipping AUTO CHECK, then it tries to reboot again and says Boot from CD/DVD. (I don't have a back up, so I'm hoping I'm not totally lost) I've also tried going to F8 and using: Repair Your Computer Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) Debugging Mode Start Windows Normally Also tried F9 with both options. I've had this problem for about a month now. Originally it would just suddenly shut down and then I could start it normally. But then the next time it would have the error pages and then if I left it alone for a few days it would boot back up normally.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 131,085 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

Follow these steps and check if it helps:

Step 1:
I would suggest you to run System restore from Windows Recovery and check if it helps:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Step 2:
Also run the Check disk in Windows Recovery mode.
To do this, follow these steps:
a)      Open Command prompt from Windows Recovery Mode
b)      Type C: and press enter. On C:\ prompt type chkdsk /r and press enter.

Note: Performing this operation could cause loss of data on your computer; it is recommended that you backup all the important data on the computer prior to performing this operation.
John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

157 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.