unable to receive updates, error: 800B0109

Hi,

I am trying to receive updates for Vista home addition 32 bit.  The first error message i received from windows update was "800B0109". I tried to download the system update readiness tool for Vista KB947821 and that failed.  the error message was "installer encountered an error 0x800b0109. a certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not by the trusted provider." I then tried microsoft fix it center and received a runtime error 80040402 and input string was not in the correct format.

What else should i be trying?

Regards, Ray

Answer
Answer
Hi Ray,

This will happen when your Windows update components are corrupt or when there is a Malware infection.

To help you with the issue please answer the following questions:

1.    Have you made any recent changes to your computer?

2.    Which antivirus application are you using?

Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can try to resolve this problem.

Method 1: Refer to the steps suggested in the following link.

Error message when you connect to the Windows Update Web site from a Windows XP-based computer: "0X800B0109"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916260

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

If the above method does not work, go to next method.

Method 2: Perform the steps suggested in the following link.

You cannot install some updates or programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

In-place upgrade disclaimer: Before you perform an in-place upgrade, you should be prepared for a worst case scenario that results in your existing data on your computer being deleted. This data includes personal data, settings, hardware driver information, and software programs. If a worst case scenario occurs, you may have to reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data to disks or to other external storage devices before you perform an in-place upgrade.

If you face any further issues, please reply to this post and we'll be happy to assist you further.

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2021 Views 64,401 Applies to: