Unable to print after latest Windows update

Curtailed printer access seems to be a common problem, from what I see on the forums.  Here is my situation:  Lenovo desktop running Windows 10; HP OfficeJet Pro 6968; all Lenovo operating software and drivers up-to-date as of today; all HP drivers up-to-date as of today.  Printer has been reinstalled.  Windows print spooler indicates operating and automatic.  All cable and wireless connections checked and re-checked.  When I select File-Print or the equivalent, I get a box showing my existing printers and virtual printers, including the HP 6968 as default.  I confirm and select print.  Result is a blank screen and no activity from the printer, or else a dialog box with the message "we couldn't print because there doesn't seem to be a printer installed."

When I installed the HP drivers a test page was printed successfully, but I suspect that this operation bypassed the Windows 10 system.

Help?

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2020 Views 2,141 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

This might help some people.

I use Office 365 and from yesterday I was unable to print anything in Word using my HP OfficeJet Pro 6970.  An error message appeared saying "word can't print due to a problem with the printer setup".

I had never had a problem with printing from Word.  I saw that there had been a Windows Update (KB4524147) yesterday.  I uninstalled it (Update & Security, rightclick on KB4524147 and click Uninstall).

I can now print from Word again.

As usual, Microsoft will instruct users to uninstall and reinstall printer drivers, etc, etc, to resolve printing issues but if these have arisen in the last two days or so, it is likely that KB4524147 is the reason.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
That's why I specifically explained how to block Updates which if removed resolved problems they caused.

Did you see my post above your latest? Please follow that now.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Over 100,000 helped in forums in 10 years
I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative.
I will walk you through any steps and will not let you fail.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.