Unable to login to windows 7 ultimate, asked for a username and password.

Original Title: Windows 7 Ultimate starter error

I upgraded my windows vista to windows 7 ultimate but after my computer restarted several times it asked for a username and password. It rejects anything I enter. My computer meets all the requirements to run windows 7. Please help...

UPDATE:

Ok sorry
I reread my first post and it seemed quite vague
I downloaded an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate on the Vanderbilt website because of a student discount
While in the last step of upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 my computer (the phase where it installs windows 7) the computer restarted then loaded windows 7 giving me no option to enter a product key or setup the computer
It opened the standard windows login screen requesting a username and password (this is before an account has been set up)
When I attempt to enter the previous username and password from the vista account it displays an error message saying "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" (No, I have not forgotten my username/password)

I able to fully access Windows Vista via the Windows Boot Manager that is displayed upon startup but whenever the computer restarts it goes to the Windows 7 login screen by default. At which point I have to turn of the computer (force shut down because there is no shut down available). Then I have to turn on the computer and open Vista through the Boot Manager.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. Are you referring to login screen user name and password?
2. Were in are you able to login to computer before?
3. Are you getting nay error message or error code?
4. Are you able to login to safe mode?
5. What do you mean by “my computer restarted several times it asked for a username and password”?

Try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1:

Try boot into safe mode and check if you are able to login to the computer.

Boot to Safe Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If you are able to login to safe mode successfully without any error message then I would suggest you to perform step 2.

Step 2:

Try a clean boot from safe mode and restart the computer to normal mode.

How to troubleshoot problems using clean boot in Windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note
: Once the troubleshooting is done, make sure that you try the step 7 in the article to reset the computer as usual.

Method 2:

Try to Enable built-in admin account from windows recovery environment and then create a new user account with administrator privileges and check if it helps.

Step 1: To Enable the Hidden Built-In Administrator Account from windows recovery environment.

a)    Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.

b)    Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

c)     On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.

d)    Select a keyboard layout, and then click next.

e)    On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

f)     Select the option Command Prompt.

g)    Type the following command, and then press ENTER: net user administrator /active:yes

h)    Restart your computer , Click on the new Administrator account display picture icon and log on to it.
Note : Once you login to the Built-In Administrator Account try creating a new user account and check if it helps.

Step 2:

If you are able to login to windows by using the Built-In Administrator Account try creating a new user account and check if it helps.

Create a new user account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 4,332 Applies to: