Unable to login to Windows 10 because there are no profiles available for selection

Greetings,

I am currently unable to login to any of my Windows 10 profiles.

Replication steps: turn on PC, arrive at logon screen, attempt to CTRL+ ALT + Del or mouse click to bring up user profiles. Once either of those actions are performed the time on the logon screen goes away. Only the 3 icons at the bottom right are available for selection for a few moments until the regular time appears again on screen.

If I put the PC into safe mode I can login and all of my files are available.

I have tried the start up repair,

ran a system restore,

turning off selective boot,

turning off a fuzzy background type setting in the registry

enabled the credential manager to start automatically..

None of these things have helped.

It's almost like when I try to engage with the screen it is acting like it is bringing up the login window but it is not.

Is there something that will fix this quickly or am I looking at an Operating system re-install?

Hi Mortokr,

I am here to assist you with your issue here, Do you want to be able to login to all the user accounts you have created? or with just one? I may suggest that you can re-create a profile since I see that you have done System restore. Just try to reboot your computer first and then go to Safemode. Login to one of your accounts. then open Regedit with Admin privileges. Please go to this Registry path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
under the Profilelist look at one of the entries sample (Starts with S-1-5-21-3568837586-700268011-1366392821-1001) below make sure you look at the right side of the window and check if you will see one of your usernames there. Once you see your user name Right click the key and then rename it to .old (Sample S-1-5-21-3568837586-700268011-1366392821-1001.old) press enter then exit Registry editor

Also if you need to save your files make sure you rename your user folder to .old (example David to David.old), once you are done you can reboot the computer.
Please let me know if it works or not. Thanks and have a good day!

https://neosmart.net/wiki/corrupt-user-profile/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2023 Views 521 Applies to: