Unable to log into Windows 7, no password prompt on welcome screen

Split from:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/no-prompt-box-on-welcome-screen-asking-for/cf1e0543-1547-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2

Hello I have pretty much the same issue as above:
->Win 7 Pro
->Boots up shows "press ctrl+alt+del" screen
->Once this is pressed, the prompt for the password does not show
->Unable to recover from cd

After toiling with this issue for some time I found that when computer is shut down properly, the next login does not show the password prompt.  If the computer is shut down via a 5 second power-button press, the password prompt appears the next time the computer is turned on.

I had an older image of the os on an harddrive (replaced HD with solid state) that I used to "restore" from.  The issue happened again some days late.  I can not keep restoring/backing up all the time as it is very time consuming (there is a lot of changing data on this computer an having to back up like this all the time is not a realistic solution)

What can be causing this issue? I would like to solve this issue without having to re-image and restore new data. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Were there any recent changes or updates made on the computer?

Step 1:

Try to restart your computer in Safe mode and check if the problem persists.

a.     Restart your computer.

b.    When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows Advanced Boot Options screen.

c.     Using the arrow keys, select the Safe Mode option.

d.    Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows Safe Mode.

e.    When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Windows will enter Safe mode.

f.      Check whether you are still facing the issue.

If it works fine in safe mode try performing a clean boot to find the root cause.

Step 2:

Refer to the article for steps on how to start your computer in clean boot state.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup. Follow the step 7 in the above article.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to enable the build-in Administrator account and check.
a. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
b. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
c. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
d. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press ENTER
e. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.

f. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

g. Log off the current user account.

Let us know if it helps.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2023 Views 14,455 Applies to: