Unable to Install Windows Update Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Code 9C48

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Installation date: ‎11/‎25/‎2013 10:03 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 9C48

===========================

When I try to launch IE, I only get a flash of a screen and it won't load.  

I get a message that says "Setup cannot continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer"

When I look at my Installed Updates and search for Internet Explorer, I only get Windows Internet Explorer 9

What can I do to resolve this issue and get a working version of IE on my computer?

Edit:  I have McAfee Security Center as my AVS

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 87,992 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

1 - Download IE10 offline installer for your windows version

2 - FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

3 - Restart pc

4 - Install IE10 and reboot

5 - Install IE11 reboot

6 - Done

Good luck and best regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This thread's title is "Unable to Install Windows Update Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Code 9C48".  If I started a new thread, I'd use the same title.    ???  Yes, I'm confused...

Sorry this didn't help.

With all due respect, you're not "in the right thread" because it can't possibly be about your computer & problem (and you don't have IE9 installed now).

The person who started this thread abandoned it on 26 November 2013.

If you need assistance, please begin your own, new thread to avoid confusion. Thank you.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

I too had the same issues.  Tried all of the troubleshooting procedures until I was blue in the face.  I found a post by "archer" from 17 Feb. 2014 wherein he advised resetting winsock.  I tried the following and all my issues were resolved.

1. Click the Windows Start button.

2.  Type Cmd in the Start Search text box and press Ctrl-Shift-Enter (keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator).  Click continue to allow elevation request.

3.  Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.

4.  Type netsh int ipv4 reset in the Command Prompt Shell, and then press the Enter key.

5.  If you use ipv6, type netsh int ipv6 reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the enter key.

Note:  you may need to run Network Diagnostics afterwards to "repair" your connection after this.

It worked like a charm for me.  Thank you archer!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry.  Win7 64-bit SP1.  IE11 when the problem started.  I think I'm in the right rhread.

Looks like I have a previous version of IE11 dated 10/16/14.  Would it make sense to try to restore that and start over from there?

Sorry this didn't help.

@OldHandBill & anyone else with a similar problem: To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please begin your own, new thread in the appropriate forum. State your current IE version (e.g., IE8; IE9; IE10; IE11) and full Windows version (e.g., Vista 32-bit SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 32-bit; Win7 64-bit SP1; Win8 32-bit; Win8.1 64-bit; WinRT; WinRT 8.1; Surface Pro; Surface 2; Surface Pro 3; Win10 TP) in your first post. Thank you.

See...

• HOW TO begin your own new thread
        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqAskQuestion1  

• Suggestions for asking a question in help forums
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

PS: Reply to this post & give me a link to your new thread and I'll try to help.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem.  Got the 9C48.  Went through most of the steps, as far as the System Update Readiness Tool.  Ran that.  Then system update.  This time it only found two items needing updating, the **** Security Update for IE11 (KB3058315) and a Windows security fix KB3035583, both of which installed successfully.  No update saying to install IE11 anymore.  Presumably it thinks IE11 is there.

But IE11 is not really there for me.  When I start IE, I get a blank window.  When I look at the Installed Updates, IE10 is there, not IE11.  But I can't do a manual install of IE11, since it tells me there is already a newer one installed.

So I try to do the FORFILES package removal approach, from the command prompt running as administrator to get rid of whatever IE files might be there.  Sure enough, FORFILES does find three IE11 packages.  However, I get an 'access denied' error when trying to uninstall them.

What am I missing?

Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is KB3058515, KB3033890, KB3059317, KB3057839 and/or KB3063858 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History) now?

How about KB3035583, KB2952664 and/or KB2990214?

What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.99 (KB1231231)?

Is Adobe Flash Player v18.0.0.160 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

In what way is IE11 corrupted?

How long has it been corrupted?

Internet Explorer 11 is NOT listed in Installed Updates, is that correct? [1]

• You won't be able to reinstall IE11 unless & until you've uninstall it.

Is KB3058515, KB3033890, KB3059317, KB3057839 and/or KB3063858 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

Thanks, but I got it to work after some effort. For the record, this is exactly what happened (though as I mentioned, it's the same situation as the OP had in this thread).

1. IE 11 latest update failed to install for "unknown reasons", with the error code in this thread.
  2. All other required updates were installed, including the ones listed here. 
  3. None of the suggested Microsoft solutions worked.
  4. IE 11 did not appear in the list of installed updates. However, downloading and attempting to install the browser resulted in a message that a later version was installed, though it did not appear in any list of installed programs.
  5. I uninstalled IE11 directly from an elevated command prompt, using the FORFILES command posted here. 
  6. Following this and several reboots, I was still unable to reinstall IE11. This time, the installed would download, begin installing, and then fail with a generic message that it failed to install completely. 
  7. Finally, I ran the Microsoft Update Readiness tool, which subsequently allowed me to install IE11.

Sorry this didn't help.

In what way is IE11 corrupted?

How long has it been corrupted?

Internet Explorer 11 is NOT listed in Installed Updates, is that correct? [1]

• You won't be able to reinstall IE11 unless & until you've uninstall it.

Is KB3058515, KB3033890, KB3059317, KB3057839 and/or KB3063858 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.