Unable to find printer IP Address

Hi,

I was trying to resolve printing and scanning issue on call. The customer has three desktop computers and three printers. Some of printers is connected with wire and some is connected with wireless. All desktop computers and printers are in the same network.

Depending on convenience and requirements, sometimes the customer changes the connectivity (wire to wireless and wireless to wire).

While resolving the printing and scanning issue I was trying to find out a) the printer IP address and b) which is on wired connection and which is on wireless connection; I did Google search. One of the link I found is as …

https://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-find-the-ip-address-of-a-printer-in-windows-8-8-1

I have gone through many links but unfortunately, I did not find the resolutions. Moreover, the customer is unable to follow more steps that are technical.  I attached some screenshots also.

As per above scenario please let me know

a) How to find out the printer IP address? And

b) How to check which printer is on wired connection and which one is on wireless connection?

Printers: HP & Canon

Regards

InTech

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums. 

Here are the few settings that you can try to find the IP address of the printer that are connected on the same network.

Method 1:

1. Search for CMD on the start menu, right click on CMD and run it as administrator.

2. Type in arp –a on the command prompt and hit enter.

3. You will find list of all the IP connected to the system.

4. Look for the dynamic IP address.

5. Copy and paste the IP on your browser, and the IP that opens your Printer setup page will be the IP for the printer.

Method 2:

1. You can try to ping the printer name, by typing ping <printer name> on the command prompt that will give you the printer IP address.

2. You can also refer to this suggestion posted by BulldogXX on January 13.

3. Check for the Canon IJ Network Tool from the post above, as you have mention you are using Canon printer.

You can type in ipconfig and find your Ethernet adapter IP address, if the printers are on wired network, and if the printer IP address has the same network address as your Ethernet network address then the printer is in wired network, and same goes for the Wireless network.

You can also compare the SSID of the WIFI and the SSID of the printer, if the SSID matched then the printer is on WIFI network, same goes for the Ethernet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar
Microsoft Community – Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 9,553 Applies to: