Unable to enter password on Windows 10 Login screen

We had a power outage with the PC in use at the time. After rebooting the pc, we are stuck at the Windows login screen.

Mouse works.

Keyboard works.

Can see the login name and password box.

Can click cursor into password box.

However when type a single character in the password box it shows the single dot and then screen flashes and auto resets itself back to a blanks password box. Have also tried using the on screen keyboard and does same thing. 

Have tried restarting.

Have tried completely powering down and unplugging and the turning back on. 

Have gone into BIOS and ran the diagnostics tests ~ all passed. 

Device is a  Lenovo PC running Windows 10.

At a loss. Any ideas appreciated!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try booting into Recovery recovery options and do a startup repair. Restart your PC three times during Boot or Press and Hold Right Shift with Clicking Restart at login Screen(where you are prompted for a password) It should take you to the Recovery options. Click on Troubleshoot> Automatic repair. Some useful steps here: http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/05/fix-windows-fails-to-load-in-pc.html The next step if that doesn't help would be to do an SFC Scan at boot.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

At the sign in screen. Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen. Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart. Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears. Click Troubleshoot Click Advanced options Click Startup Settings Click Restart Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode. Log in If you are able to log in successfully, do the following Press Windows key + R Type: control userpasswords2 Hit Enter Uncheck, Users must enter a user name and password to use the computer. Click Apply and OK Check if you can restart in Normal mode and boot to the desktop successfully. If you are able to, Press Windows key + R Type: control userpasswords2 Hit Enter Uncheck, Users must enter a user name and password to use the computer. Open Start, type: CMD Right click CMD Click Run as administrator Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Also run the System File Checker utility: Open Start, type: CMD Right click CMD Click Run as administrator At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow This will check for any integrity violations Restart your system
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the quick response, but I am somehow failing at the first step. 

"At the sign in screen. 
Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen.
Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart.
Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears"

I do this but the PC just restarts and takes me back to regular login screen. I don't get any advanced recovery menu... Have tried twice.

Both responses indicate another option is to do a SFC scan. How do I get a Command prompt or do the SFC scan if i cannot get to the Advanced Recovery menu as above?

Thanks!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, you have not booted to the desktop in Safe mode, so you can't run SFC or DISM. Again At the sign in screen. Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen. Continue to hold down the shift key then click Restart - you should not at any time release the Shift key. Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears ----------------------------------- Another way you can try. Power on and off your computer three times On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment Click Advanced Options Click Troubleshoot Click Advanced Options Click Startup settings Click Restart Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode. Log in
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. Shift still didn't work, but CtrlAltDel 3 times during boot got me to the Advanced recovery option screens.

I was able to login via Safe Mode. Attempting to run DISM Commands. CheckHealth command came back to prompt quickly. ScanHealth has ben running may be 10 minutes and has not returned to prompt. Opened second Command prompt window. When try to run sfc/scannow it says "Another service or repair operation is running..." 

can i ask normally how long the dism command takes to run? should i expect it to take a while? 

thanks again.

Anita 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It can sometimes take a while to complete, depending the severity of the problem. So, you might have to wait it out a bit.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok. So results are:

Dism CheckHealth = Repairable. Operation successful.

Dism ScanHealth = 44.5% complete. Error 605. Specified buffer contains ill formed data. 

Dism RestoreHealth = 32.5% complete. Error 605. The specified buffer contains ill formed data. 

sfc/scannow = Verification 67% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform requested operation. 

Restarted system. 

Same issue. No change. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI. I have now also gone back into Advanced Recovery Menu and tried the Troubleshoot/ Advanced options/ Startup Repair. It ran but said it could not repair the computer and ti try other options. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There might be damage to your installation, you might have to perform a reset then keep files: Power on and off your computer three times On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment Click Advanced Options Click Troubleshoot Click Reset this PC Click Keep my files Choose your account Enter your password Click Continue Click Reset
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Andre. Before you replied I have gone back into Advanced Recovery and started System Restore from the last available date it gave as an.option. It said it would keep all of my personal files. Hopefully this was an ok option as it it in progress now and there is no way back! Fingers crossed!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 6,300 Applies to: