Unable to download or open almost all applications due to win32u.dll error.

When I try to open or download specific apps, I get a system error saying: "The code execution cannot proceed because win32u.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". I have tried uninstalling the program, however this does not resolve the problem and I am unable to redownload the application. I have already tried preforming SFC scans, and whenever I do, I am told: “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log”. Trying the DISM has also ended in failure. I am unsure of what to do to resolve this Dll error, can anyone help?
Hi Raymond,

Let's try re-registering the specific dll file

1. Go to start
2. Search for command prompt
3. Right click and run as administrator
4. Execute this command on the window regsvr32 win32u.dll

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

When I try this in Administrator command prompt, I am met with: "The module "win32u.dll" was loaded but the entry point DllRegistryServer was not found. make sure that "win32u.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I’m Virginia an independent advisor with 20 years of expertise in fixing my own & friends’ PC problems.
Try sfc this way:
Run sfc & you’lll receive that error, this is fine.
Restart the PC.
Once logged back in then open powershell with admin & enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
This should complete
Now run SFC again & now it should fix the corruption.
This worked for me a others with the same error which was due to a Defender update, this was corrected but the fix still needs to be run to clear the ‘corruption’.

If this doesn’t work then run a repair upgrade:
I recommend an in-place upgrade repair.
To repair Windows without losing any data then follow the instruction here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repai...
This will also upgrade you to the latest version of Windows - currently 1903 - if you currently don’t have this installed.
In a nutshell you just download the media creation tool & choose to upgrade now.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2021 Views 1,175 Applies to: