Unable to download .exe files

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion Notebook with Vista 32-bit SP1. My problem is that I'm unable to download .exe files from the internet. In both Firefox and Internet Explorer the download box appears, I'm prompted to choose where the file should be saved and then nothing happens. I have tried reseting IE as well as disablin defender but still no go (got that tip from the HP-support).

I'm using a D-link router DGL-4300 and F-secure and I have tried both putting my computer in the demilitarized zone and allowing all internet traffic in F-secure but ut still doesn't work. Another computer on the same network with XP have no problem downloading.

Found a similar issue in this thread http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/565d9f86-42cd-40a8-bb0a-819526466b7d/ but that seems unresolved.

Mvh
BB
Answer
Answer
Hello Baronbengt,

Thank you for posting.  Downloading .exe files has been disabled in most internet browsers for some time now as protection against mal-ware and viruses.  Any download of a .exe file that isn't in a container(zipped or some form of compression) is likely to be something unkind for your computer.

Please let me know if this helps you.

Zack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

37 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello BB,

I think I need to clarify what Zach stated.  IE and other browsers will block exe’s that are part of a webpage’s design and will often block HTML based email attachments that are exe files.  In this case it is far more likely that if you are using an Antivirus/Malware/Internet Security suite that it is blocking or quarantining the file you are attempting to download.  If the file you are downloading is from a known and trusted source you can try disabling your antivirus software and attempting the download again.  If that still doesn’t get it through then we can try running IE in the no Add On mode and attempting the download.  To launch IE with no Add Ons go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and clicking the icon for Internet Explorer No Add Ons.  If that still doesn’t let the file download we can try doing a clean boot of Vista to see if something is loading on Startup that is blocking the Download.  Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article the explains the Clean Boot procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Let us know what these steps reveal. 

Thanks,
Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2020 Views 96,021 Applies to: