Unable to do Windows 11 Clean Installation because I don't have 8GB available on C drive

I'm following along with the Windows 11 Clean Installation guide. I've downloaded the installer onto my D drive, which has tons of space, and I've inserted a blank USB flash drive. Installer runs fine, but I get to Step 4.5 ("Select the bootable USB flash drive...") and I'm not given the option to select any drive.

I click Next and I'm told that C drive doesn't have 8GB of free space. (Which is why I want a clean install on it. Lots of old stuff.)

How can I install a bootable install of Windows on a USB drive if I don't get the option to install it on a USB drive?

|
Hello, this is Emily.

Unfortunatley you do need at least 8GB of free space on your system drive (not your D drive) to make this bootable USB drive. That is because the media creation tool first has to download the .iso to your system drive and process it and mount to your flash drive. There's no way around this unfortunately.

Try to manually delete as much files as possible. You can delete anything located in your personal folder like desktop, documents, photos, etc. You can also use the Disk Cleanup app to clean up as much as possible. If it is absolutely impossible to do so, you can create the USB on a different computer, hopefully you can get a friend or family to help. Once you have it made, the clean install will go smoothly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

my D drive, which has tons of space

Make use of it by moving a few GB from C to D.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 9.83GB free on the C drive and 14.6GB free on the USB drive.

Getting this:

The instructions say I just need 8GB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I click Next and I'm told that C drive doesn't have 8GB of free space. (Which is why I want a clean install on it. Lots of old stuff.)

Windows setup will have to format, if not delete the partition. What is the difference between this and getting rid of some old stuff right now?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First if you can still get into your current version of Windows operating system even if you having issue do a back up of where it is onto external hard drive and then back up your registry key.

Cause if you need too you can get it back to where it was if problem occurs doing a clean installation or any recovery over the internet.

I suggest if you have a pervious Media tool for Windows 11 Version use that only issue will be lots of updates and patches as well as installing your other programs and apps etc.

Hope to god it activates using your email.

Otherwise you can try to restore the previous backup that is recorded on Microsoft servers.

1) That entails going to Windows update

2) Then Advanced Option

3) Locate recovery choose one of the options in the list.

4) I would start with: - fix problems using Windows Update

5) Otherwise use: - Reset this PC.

Final word good luck with it.

**** No

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am sorry.. the error message is misleading.. 9.83 GB is still quite tight.. this operation itself requires 8GB on the system drive, but taking into consideration Windows also needs to have some free space to run properly, see if you can clear a few more GB if possible.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 33 Applies to: