Unable to delete a registry key associated with Mcafee

How to delete a ghost key?

Hi,

Under the HKLM\Software, there  is an empty  key named “McAfee”. It is placed between Macromedia and Microsoft keys.

When I click on it or just pass the cursor over it by using the arrow keys, on the right side an error box is shown, stating an Error Opening Key and also informing something like “McAfee cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: The system cannot find the file specified”.

It seems to me that it is some wasted entry left from an older installation of McAfee Antivirus which came to my laptop and I quickly uninstalled because do not like McAfee apps.

Well, I have done everything I know so far in order to erase this damed key however I got no success because Windows argues it doesn’t exists. But if so, why is it shown on the registry?

So, my question for you, fellows, is: Is there a secure way to delete this key for once and for all? I mean, the key is not really causing any trouble, but I simply do not like the facts it stands in my registry and I cannot erase it by my own.

Many thanks for any help.

Answer
Answer

Glad to know the issue has been resolved. :)

Microsoft Desktop Support Engineer

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 8,146 Applies to: