Unable to connect to wifi network - Getting Windows Security Sign in popup window

Hey all,

In the last few weeks, my HP Pavilion 11-n-20nz running Windows 10 refuses to connect to any wifi network.
Every time I try, I get the below Windows Security popup asking me to sign in. It seems that until I sign in, the computer will not connect to the network (although I never tested that since I was never able to sign in :()

Here is what I know/tried:

• I do not remember enabling the windows security feature or registering any user
    I cannot be sure but it seems to me the problem started after I installed the 'Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1607'
  • My default windows credentials do not work in this sign in window
  • I tried to create new windows account. The same problem occurred for this user
  • I do not use outlook (I found several posts out there related to similar problem with outlook)
  • This is not related to IE as it happens without even touching IE (again, found a bunch of threads mentioning IE)
  • I tried to follow the suggestions here but could not find how to turn off the Ethernet Authentication option
  • Disabled the Windows Defender 
  • Obviously, restart of all types and sorts did not help

At this point, I will welcome any suggestion/help/Voodoo as I have failed miserably to solve this and cannot even find a reference to a similar issue.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Main thing I could think of would be if it is a bug with Microsoft's Wi-Fi sense that connects you to suggested Wi-Fi networks/hotspots shared by your contacts. You may have checked here but could you go to:

Start->Settings->Network & Internet->Wi-Fi, and on the Wi-Fi page go to "Manage Wi-Fi settings" and see if turning off Wi-Fi sense/Paid Wi-Fi Services helps

Mainly wondering if this is affecting you since I see everything on the page has the "Sign in with your MS account".

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Todd, thanks a lot for your quick response.

The bad news is that the Sense definitions where all disabled so that was not the culprit.

The good news is that this helped me solve the problem :)

While looking into the WiFi Sense I found my way to the User Account > Credential Manager page. There I noticed, under the 'Generic Credentials' section, few credentials I could not recognize. These seem to have been added right around the time that the problem started.

After deleting these credentials, I was able to connect to the wifi again.

Sadly, I did not take a snapshot before I deleted the credentials but here is the how this page looks now.

Thanks again!

129 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I currently have the same problem with my Samsung Notebook, and none of the above-mentioned tips h been able to fix the problem. 

It started happening today, but I cannot seem to have updated anything later than a week ago (update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems).

If anyone has any suggestions or tips to what might work. Please let me know. 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided here: Fix network connection issues in Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I eventually found the cause of the problem for my case, and it had to with the security of the connection to a specific WiFi at a University. Which means that I made it by following the instructions (which i had not read) for how to connect to the specific network.

Thanks anyway!

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey,

I'm having the exact same problem. I only get the sign in pop up when trying to connect to my public university wifi. I'm at UCLA and this is used across all UCs, the "eduroam" network.

I have not changed any settings and had been using this network with success up until yesterday afternoon.

None of the above fixes have helped. I wiped my credentials and restored them all after seeing that it didn't help. I've checked my wi-fi settings as well. I'm assuming this is a glitch in Windows 10. Also just had a windows update today which I hoped would fix the problem but no difference.

I can connect to any other network just fine, public or not. I really need this network to be able to do my work anywhere on campus. Someone please save me :'(. 

Also, HrrFagerli, could you elaborate on what you did to fix your case? I'm don't entirely follow what you explained in your reply. Thanks.

Thanks in advance to anyone else who can help.

85 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am sorry for the late reply Jonathan Chu, but if it can be to any help, then this is what I did:

I am currently studying in Munich, and was also using the "eduroam" network here. I had been doing so for some weeks without any problem, when this Windows security pop up showed up. After a tip from another student, I found out that we were supposed/needed to first download a suitable configuration file before we could use this network. After doing so (in our case from http://www.lrzlde/services/netz/wlan/eduroam/ ), and logging in with my University user, it worked again.

I hope this was to some use.

Frode

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The windows credential mentions token in the string. Deleteted it.

Somehow it also solved my shift keys not working on dell Inspiron 11 "

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem and I've tried all the above suggestions. Can I create a new user name and password? I'd prefer just to get rid of this pop up. It happens every time a try to connect to WiFi 

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

If the system keeps on asking for credentials whenever you're trying to connect to WiFi, there might be an issue with the integration between the router and your PC. To resolve this, follow the steps below:

1.) Go to Settings.

2.) Click on Network & Internet.

3.) Select Network Reset.

Doing this will make Windows forget the connection credentials for the WiFi. Kindly re-enter the credentials after restarting your computer.

Inform us with any updates regarding your issue so we can assist you further.

145 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 170,053 Applies to: