Unable to change default app by file type

I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files.  I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the wrong file protocol.  The store has its own genealogical database apps that it wants me to use.  It won't let me use Roots Magic.  Do I have to uninstall RM and then reinstall it, hoping Windows will behave this time and let me use Roots Magic as the default app? 

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that you want to change the default app for GED files as Roots Magic, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to avoid redundancy of steps.

As you have mentioned that GED files are opened with Photoshop, we can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Change default app using the file

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location where you have saved the GED files, right click on any of the file and select Properties.

2. Under Open with, click on Change.

3. Now, click on More apps, scroll down and look for Roots Magic application.

4. If Roots Magic is not available in the list then, click on Look for another app on this PC and select the application using the location.

Method 2: Change default app using Settings.

1. Press Windows key + I, to open Settings.

2. Click on Apps.

3. Click on Default apps, on the left pane.

4. Now, click on Choose default apps by file type.

5. Scroll down, look for .GED file type and click on Choose a default.

6. Now, select the Roots Magic application.

If the issue persists, you may create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account. Refer the steps mentioned in the article Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10 to create a new user account.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that you want to change the default app for GED files as Roots Magic, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to avoid redundancy of steps.

As you have mentioned that GED files are opened with Photoshop, we can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Change default app using the file

1. Navigate to the location where you have saved the GED files, right click on any of the file and select Properties.

2. Under Open with, click on Change.

3. Now, click on More apps, scroll down and look for Roots Magic application.

4. If Roots Magic is not available in the list then, click on Look for another app on this PC and select the application using the location.

Method 2: Change default app using Settings.

1. Press Windows key + I, to open Settings.

2. Click on Apps.

3. Click on Default apps, on the left pane.

4. Now, click on Choose default apps by file type.

5. Scroll down, look for .GED file type and click on Choose a default.

6. Now, select the Roots Magic application.

If the issue persists, you may create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account. Refer the steps mentioned in the article Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10 to create a new user account.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

I already tried both methods several times to no avail.   GED is among the file types on the list and it is associated with Photoshop as its default app. 

Roots Magic is not among the apps on the list so I had to click the store and it is not offered by the store either.  The store offers a few low-ended genealogical database apps but Roots Magic is not among them.  I had already paid for it and installed it and have been using it for many years and do not wish to change to an app MS offers at its store.

This started to happen when Windows did its recent long update, and I am wondering if it switched the default app from Roots Magic to Photoshop which most certainly does not accept GED as among its file extensions.

This is happening on both of my computers, desktop and laptop.

I am thinking I may have to uninstall Roots Magic and do it all over again, making sure that it is installed as the default app.  

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2024 Views 1,880 Applies to: