Unable to add a Windows 7 PC to Microsoft Account Device List

I am trying to add my older Windows 7 PC to the list of devices on my MS Account.  When I open my MS account on that Windows 7 PC and look at the listed devices that device is missing.

So I click through a few windows to add a device and am instructed to "go to settings" -- there it stops because there doesn't seem to be any "settings" to go to.

Who can tell me how to get this device into the account?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

No such option exist thru Microsoft...Only Microsoft hardware gets added to the pc is Microsoft/Hardware/Software-Driver verification,then a install takes place...Microsoft user Account can be seen at.

https://account.microsoft.com/devices/

Plus at each Microsoft/Hardware install,it asks if you want registration thru web site..Microsoft has few hardware pieces,dont get to overwhelmed with it...

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No such option exist thru Microsoft...Only Microsoft hardware gets added to the pc is Microsoft/Hardware/Software-Driver verification,then a install takes place...Microsoft user Account can be seen at.

https://account.microsoft.com/devices/

Plus at each Microsoft/Hardware install,it asks if you want registration thru web site..Microsoft has few hardware pieces,dont get to overwhelmed with it...

My device list currently shows my Motorola phone and my Dell PC.  I have another device too.  It is a PC.  It runs Windows 7.

The web site you list above indeed does have an option to add another device to my MS account and gives some instructions for doing it.  Unfortunately, the instructions cannot be carried out on my computer.

I am not adding or installing hardware, software, or anything else at all on the computer at all.  I am just trying to update the information on my MS account.

Check my post again.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem.

Go to iTunes to check for update, 
it forwards me to microsoft live to download, 
unable to download because I have no device
unable to add my Win7 PC per the OPs description.

Windows fail

:-(

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem.

Go to iTunes to check for update, 
it forwards me to microsoft live to download, 
unable to download because I have no device
unable to add my Win7 PC per the OPs description.

Can you please fix? Thanks. Cy

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It appears Microsoft only cares about pushing Windows 10 on everyone and not having any support for older versions

Just wasted $70 on a game purchase I can't even install on my PC

feelsbadman

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I eventually discovered from one of the experts that Microsoft Store is not supported in Windows 7, which I couldn’t see as an advisory anywhere. So this looks like a completely unethical stitch-up between Apple and Microsoft. The Microsoft expert sent me the latest version of iTunes but told me because Windows 7 support is being withdrawn the store-based process doesn’t work. I think this is unethical because W7 support hasn’t finished yet.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have this same problem too- it specifically started with trying to download the latest itunes, apple sent me to microsoft store, which did not recognize my computer because it is running windows 7.  When and if i decide to make the jump to windows 10 (i'm leery because of all these glitches), iis the microsoft store going to refuse me the right to download windows 10 because i'm on windows 7? this seems to be a contradictory problem. 
In addition, when i wrote to microsoft support regarding this problem ( 2 times), they closed the problem report within 1 day, saying that the problem had been solved.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have this same problem too- it specifically started with trying to download the latest itunes, apple sent me to microsoft store, which did not recognize my computer because it is running windows 7.  When and if i decide to make the jump to windows 10 (i'm leery because of all these glitches), iis the microsoft store going to refuse me the right to download windows 10 because i'm on windows 7? this seems to be a contradictory problem. 
In addition, when i wrote to microsoft support regarding this problem ( 2 times), they closed the problem report within 1 day, saying that the problem had been solved.

Totally have the same problem. I don't use my laptop all that frequently since graduating so when I finally tried to update my iTunes to try and connect my new iPhone, I found that my Windows 7 had run into an updating glitch about 2 years ago and hadn't been updating since then. So after spending all of yesterday afternoon and evening troubleshooting the update problem, finally resolving it, and then going through 2 years of updates, I did rather have the expectation that I would then be able to update my iTunes. 

It's disheartening to hear that issues I've since run into with Apple directing me to the Microsoft store and then being unable to go from there is a problem also being faced by a bunch of others still running Windows 7. I also have to agree with Brian further up, that this "merge" has to be unethical. It's certainly weird enough... It certainly doesn't sell me on either Microsoft or Apple. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Old versions of itunes that support Win 7 available thru itunes website...

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To the original poster:

The issue appears to be that the computer must be logged into a Microsoft account user in order to do this. I have a fairly new Windows 10 PC which I could not add as well. I only use local accounts on my PC. According to the "Add a device"  instructions that Microsoft lists, you need to have a Microsoft user account set up on your computer and have your computer logged into that account to add the device which is stupid. They are forcing you more and more to set up and use a Microsoft account on your PC instead of a local account which is apparent from recent releases of Windows 10 where they deeply hide the option to initially set up your computer with a local account.

JohnD

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2023 Views 20,583 Applies to: