unable to access c drive in win 10........please help

Hi everyone, I am completely stuck and don't know what to do.  I've recently upgraded to windows 10 and was doing a disk cleanup of c drive to free up some space when suddenly i lose all access to c drive.  This means i cannot view it/amend it or anything.  Everytime i click on the control panel it tells me i do not have the access required which means i cannot do anything.  On top of that my nvidia card is conflicting with win 10 and the screen flickers every few seconds which means i can only boot in safe mode.  I have tried numerous fixes from net searches but nothing.  I have now backed up all my files and tried a complete reinstall but even that fails because of no access to c drive.  my desktop came with win 8 so i do not have the recovery disks to try and install from there.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2019 Views 32,031 Applies to:

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

Try these methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

a. Right click on Drive C and click Properties.

b. Switch to Security tab, click Edit and Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the full control permission for your own account and click OK.

c. Click Advanced, switch to Ownership tab and click Edit button.

d. Highlight your user account and click Apply, and then click OK.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to disable to UAC settings and check.

a. In search type User account control.

b. Select Change User Account Control Settings.

c. Move the slider to Never notify and click Ok.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi I have tried this several times.  I cannot change the permission on c drive.  when you click the button it takes a while but then comes up with an error "can't open access control editor. access is denied".  I have tried all 3 of your suggestions but they don't work.  I have even tried to take control in command prompt but still it says access is denied.

386 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

...this seems to be a fatal flaw in W10 ... it seems once the C: drive becomes denied to the Administrator ( from a permissions view point ) there is no way to recover it as none of the tools work because "duh" permission is denied. You cant click on anything ( as administrator ), or use a command line .. apart from this my W10 is working OK ... I can run programs etc ... but not as Administrator, cant do updates, cant install / remove programs, cant set securities, cant manage computer, cant create user accounts, cant regedit etc etc etc. I cant even do a reset / reinstall windows from scratch because ..yes insufficient permissions. Only solution seems to be putting the disk in another machine and formatting it .. but since I dont have install media for windows .. how to reinstall ?? why should I have to even do this ????

87 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.