Two Monitor - Incorrect Sizes

I am trying to connect my laptop to an external monitor. However when I do so, my laptop (Identified as 1) appears much larger then the additional monitor (Identified as 2). However, in actuality the external monitor is larger then the laptop. This is causing my icons to be the wrong size.

How can I adjust the size of the displays so this is not an issue?

Answer
Answer
Those are not sizes of displays, just emphasizing that Monitor 1 is selected and Monitor 2 is not.

The solution for wrong size icons or screen resolution is to choose each monitor to access it's resolution and set it to highest or best resolution, including if necessary changing the Scaling to make everything appear larger.

Further, desktop icons can be resized or refit to edges by holding the Ctrl key while zooming the mouse wheel or using the - or + keys.

To adjust the Screen resolution while in Dual Monitor mode you will have to bring each monitor into focus as the primary monitor to have access to theses settings as they will be greyed out when it is in Extended mode, or if another monitor is set to display.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until this is resolved.
Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 28,414 Applies to: