Turning a folder into a drive letter

Hi there,

I would like to map a folder to a drive letter. I used to do this on Windows 7 using junctions and symbolic links using utilities from System Internals from Microsoft but it doesn't seem to be working on Windows 10. Using the subst command is a half-measure and I'd rather not use it. It's a pain for many reasons I'd rather not get into.

How can I basically mount a folder as a drive?

I ask because over the years, I have moved old drives onto new drives as folders, and maintain file paths used by programs by remapping the folder containing the original drive's contents as the original drive's letter path, making it indistinguishable from an actual drives for programs.

Answer
Answer

Hi Sam_9S,
I'm Rodrigo and I will help you.
Right click the folder > Properties > Sharing tab > Share... > Set the user and permissions > Share > Copy the network path that shows on the Sharing tab now.

Go to This PC > "Computer" on the top menu > Map a network drive > Select the drive letter > on "Folder" paste the path that you copied before > Finish.

If I helped you anyway, It makes me happy.

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Whether one uses mklink or Syinternals junction command, there is no option to map a new drive letter to a folder using junctions. The OP may have misremembered using a junction for this purpose.

The Subst command is one way to map a drive letter to a folder. Example:

Subst W: C:\Users\Public\Documents

Another way, which the OP ended up using, is to create the substituted drive using a registry entry. Example:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices]
"W:"="\\??\\C:\\Users\\Public\\Documents"

Note: In both of these cases, the drive will act like a removable drive and not work with the recycle bin, at least not without some fiddling (see this SuperUser article).

IMO, a better option for shortcutting a folder is to use a junction. Example:

mklink /j c:\w c:\users\public\documents

That will create a virtual C:\w folder that points to c:\users\public\documents. It's not a drive letter, but if your goal is to get to a folder with less typing or clicking, it serves the same purpose and is 100% recycle bin compatible.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 30,749 Applies to: