Turn On Fast Startup

Hi,

I have 2 user enabled in my home laptop, and disabled Turn On Fast Startup for both of them, but it is working only for 1 of them.

I disabled "fast startup" [Control Panel, Power Options, Settings, Choose What The Power Buttons Do, Turn On Fast Startup (cleared check box)
I also checked regedit and made sure that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power is set to 0

However, it does not work.  Whether I "shutdown" or "restart", (via menu options) or shutdown with power button, then restart, the systems seems to always go into hibernate/sleep mode--previously open screens keep reappearing.  So I cannot get a "clean" reboot.

I kindly remark that the issue is affecting only 1 user, the other user is working as expected.

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Luzbelo,

This could be caused by incorrect Power plan settings. Kindly tell us when did the issue start to happen. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Meanwhile, you can run the Power troubleshooter to scan and fix issues with the Power settings. To do this follow the steps below:

1. On the Start menu, type Troubleshoot, and then hit Enter.
  2. Under Find and fix other problems, select Power. Click Run the troubleshooter.

You can also consider resetting the Power plan settings to default. Here's how:

1. On the Start menu, type Command Prompt. Right-click the result and then choose Run as administrator.
  2. Type or copy this command and hit Enter.
        powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
  3. Exit Command Prompt.
  4. Restart your computer to apply the changes.

If the issue persists, follow the steps below on how you can disable Fast startup from the Command Prompt:

1. On the Start menu, type Command Prompt. Right-click the result, and then select Run as administrator.
  2. Type or copy each commands followed by hitting Enter:
          powercfg /hibernate on

Note: Please note the space between "powercfg" and "/hibernate".

If you continue to have this issue even after performing the above steps, please reply to this thread. The system will notify me so I can get back to you and provide you with more answers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Troubleshot run, only "Time before computer goes to sleep is too long" was fixed.

I reseted the power settings as suggested and then disabled "fast startup" again, problem continue.

I didn't try the third option that you mention because it didn't look to be a command to DISABLE FASTBOOT, plz confirm that the command (powercfg /hibernate on) is correct?, it looks a command to enable hibernate. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies if I hadn't gotten back to you sooner since I was out of the office.

You can consider resetting your computer. Resetting your computer lets you choose whether you'd like to keep your files or remove them. The Reset: Keep my files option in Windows 10 will help you reinstall Windows 10 without deleting your personal files. However, this option will also remove apps and driver you installed, as well as the changes you have made to the settings. This option will also remove any apps your PC manufacturer installed.

To do this, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

For your reference, check the Reset your PC section of this article.

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 17, 2018 Views 1,754 Applies to: