TSSTCorp CDDVDW TS-L633C reads/writes CD but not a DVD since WIn10 install

i use Mixmeister Express and also have Nero 2016 and had no issues with Win 7 Home Premium (64-bit). My CD/DVD drive is listed in Device Mgr with no problems reported but the DVD portion of the drive doesn't recognize when a DVD is in the drive. Mixmeister says CD-R engine unable to initialize while Nero WILL write to CD. i previously had to install the GEAR driver to resolve the issue in Mixmeister so i assumed this would solve the trick but it hasn't so far...any suggestions? (i have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5128 laptop).

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2019 Views 2,493 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Colvin,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if

To assist you to better, please provided us the information below:

• Is the issue with a specific type of DVDs or with all types of DVDs?
  • Are you able to open CDs on the computer? 

I suggest you to follow the steps below to run hardware and device troubleshooter. Also try update CD/DVD driver in the Device Manager. Check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to perform the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I recommend you to update

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.
2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.
3. Expand CD/DVD drives.
4. Right click on the driver and click on Update Driver Software.

Please get back to us with an update on playing DVDs in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

the drive doesn't recognize any type of DVD while it does recognize a blank CD, plays an audio CD and will write to a blank CD (currently using Nero); one exception is when using Mixmeister Express & wanting to burn within the application, it states "CD-R engine unable to initialize". this happened when i first installed Mixmeister using Windows 7 Home Premium on this same laptop but was advised through Mixmeister's community forums to install "GEAR" drivers etc which solved that issue back then but it's unsuccessful with Windows 10. 

i've exhausted all basic troubleshooting steps known to me, including the Windows Troubleshooters, Device Mgr/update driver software option, disabling/enabling, uninstalling & reinstalling the hardware, sfc/scannow, checking my system BIOS to make sure the drive is still listed/enabled...it is. 

i also attempted to update the firmware directly from TSSTCorp website but both options said no drive was found...but their inquiry program gave me the info pictured here:

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Colvin,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the DVD/CD driver in compatibility mode. Check if it helps.

1. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’'.

2. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please get back to us with an update on playing DVDs in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

am i in the correct folder? 

also, i don't see an option for compatibility mode...(i'm tech saavy enough if i have step-by-step details but you stumped me on this one. ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Colvin,

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the DVD/CD driver in compatibility mode. Check if it helps.

2. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please get back to us with an update on playing DVDs in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

i'm still not exactly sure where to access the specific "setup" file for compatibility mode you're referring to. 

if you would address the following:

1) which specific file am i attempting to run in compatibility mode?

2) where/what specific folder will i be searching in?

3) regarding the uninstall, how do i uninstall in compatibility mode? (i.e.: this apparently isn't an option in the Uninstall Programs list within the control panel, etc)

i appreciate your assistance & thanks again in advance for your help!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Dbl click on the dvd entry then go to the details tab. Look for upper and lower class filter. Whats here?

Sorry this didn't help.

dvd entry? where, what folder, etc? in device mgr?

Sorry this didn't help.

i remember searching for upper/lower class filters...they are NOT there. nowhere to be found...how do i fix that?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Colvin,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the DVD/CD drive in the computer and check it helps.

Step 1: First I suggest you to download the DVD/CD driver from the Toshiba driver support website. 

https://support.toshiba.com/drivers

Step 2: After downloading the DVD/CD driver from the website. Then I recommend you to uninstall the DVD/CD driver from the Device Manager.

3. Expand CD/DVD drives.
4. Right click on the driver and click on Uninstall.

5. Then follow the instruction to uninstall the DVD/CD drive. 

Step 3: I suggest you to install the DVD/CD drive which is downloaded from the Toshiba website in compatibility mode.

2. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Colvin,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the DVD/CD drive in the computer and check it helps.

Step 1: First I suggest you to download the DVD/CD driver from the Toshiba driver support website. 

https://support.toshiba.com/drivers

Step 2: After downloading the DVD/CD driver from the website. Then I recommend you to uninstall the DVD/CD driver from the Device Manager.

3. Expand CD/DVD drives.
4. Right click on the driver and click on Uninstall.

5. Then follow the instruction to uninstall the DVD/CD drive. 

Step 3: I suggest you to install the DVD/CD drive which is downloaded from the Toshiba website in compatibility mode.

2. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down.

Thank you.

toshiba apparently doesn't have drivers (or anything useful regarding "support" for that matter) for my laptop with Win10 installed. Even having met the requirements for Win10 Home, my Satellite C655-S5128, isn't on their "compatible" list...they inform me after-the-fact?!? 

i still have had no success with uninstalling & reinstalling the dvd driver in compatibilty mode because i'm still needing the specific path to it's location as previously requested.

the ONLY development i've seen, is that the drive DID recognize a SONY DVD+RW disc but DID NOT recognize a MAXELL DVD-RW disc.

Mixmeister still is unable to "initialize the CD-R engine" when i attempt to burn my mixset to disc from within the application. (as i type, Mixmeister is now "not responding"...going on thirty minutes).

Sorry this didn't help.