Trying to do a repair and it keeps asking for an adminstration password. I do not have a adminstration password. How do I get around this to do a repair__

Adminstration Password

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

shift f10 at step 10.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

And not to beat a dead horse further, the process and steps you described will not overwrite the existing user data and after-market software?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

no - not if you follow them exactly.  All it is going to do is when you do the shift f10 it will break out of the repair process so you can use the nusermgr.cpl from a command prompt to bring up the gui to change the administrator password or any other passwords.. I have done this exact document on multiple pcs in the past without losing data, settings or anything else... just changed the password to admin is all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Things have not gone as planned.  I did everything described, but now I get the BOS pointing to the "fltmgr.sys" file.  I've tried booting in all forms of Safe mode - zilch.  I've run the repair twice and when rebooting after the initial copying of Windows files, the Windows loading screen comes up then BOS's.  I suspect it may be that my XP CD is pre-SPx and the laptop was recently updated to SP3.

I've looked online on how to build a bootable CD so I can at least get to the command prompt that way, but looking at 10 sites I get 10 different ways, none of which look promising.  Aside from performing an exorcism or removing the hard drive in the hopes of connecting it to my desktop as a D: drive - any more ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So just remove the hard drive, back up the files by attaching it to another PC and then do a clean install.
It's nice to have a clean registry anyway.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

or you can get a third party utility for lost XP password on google, MSN, yahoo etc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Third-party password tools Some third-party companies claim to be able to circumvent passwords that have been applied to files and features that Microsoft programs use. For legal reasons, we cannot recommend or endorse any one of these companies. If you want help to break or to reset a password, you can locate and contact a third-party company for this help. You use such third-party products and services at your own risk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

things go well until step 6, the setup screen ... no previous installation of windows is found, instead it prompts for the partition to do the install ...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. I have recently been given the 'No Bootable CD In ATAPI CD-ROM' message and the laptop would not start. I have created a recovery cd to start up the laptop but when I get to step 4) I get the message 'unable to locate the net user license agreement. press F3 to exit'.

Any help? Running Windows XP Home SP3.

Many thanks,

Nick

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After I ran the Repair from the XP disk and it rebooted, I still got the error A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED, PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART. 

The repair didn't fix it & I don't know the  Administrator Password for the Recovery Console. 

I guess I'll try CHKDSK /R from the C:\Windows prompt.

Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 32,814 Applies to: