Trying to boot from CD Windows 10

HP Pavilion desktop. Using HP instruction from their web site I try to set up boot from cd. It's a 3 step process. Step 1: Disable secure boot and enable legacy boot. I get through it without issue. Step 2 Select the CD/DVD drive as the boot device. I get to a point where it asks me to press F9. After selecting F9 I can arrow down to CD/DVD option but when clicking Enter to select it, it is supposed to reboot. It does nothing. HP wants $99 to talk to me. Their warranty doesn't cover software issues any more. Anybody seen this?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand you are facing issues trying to boot from the CD/DVD.

When you insert the CD/DVD and restart the PC, don't you get the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" option?

We would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer website to check for the latest BIOS version & chipset driver and install it to check if it helps.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.  

After updating the bios, you may try to set the boot order to check if it helps.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand you are facing issues trying to boot from the CD/DVD.

When you insert the CD/DVD and restart the PC, don't you get the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" option?

We would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer website to check for the latest BIOS version & chipset driver and install it to check if it helps.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.  

After updating the bios, you may try to set the boot order to check if it helps.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

The original issue was removing a password from Windows 10 computer. Microsoft said the only option was to reset the pc. No good. All data would be lost. I found a 3rd party application that allows me to remove the password without affecting the data. It won't work from CD as I still cannot boot from CD but I can boot from USB so issue resolved.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am trying to boot win 10 from a disk because it is stuck in a boot loop. I have tried going to the BIOS and it still did not work.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2023 Views 9,476 Applies to: