Trouble booting after update KB4549951

After attempting to install what I believe to be KB4549951, my laptop will no longer boot. The update proceeded normally when shutting down the PC, but when turning it on, the boot screen quickly says "Preparing Automatic Repair", which then becomes "Diagnosing your PC", then "Attempting repairs". I am then brought to the Automatic Repair screen the tells me it couldn't repair my PC and points me to a log file. I have have tried:

• Startup Repair, which simply repeats the process
  • Startup Settings, which also repeats the process
  • System Restore, which fails after ~5 minutes
  • Uninstall latest quality update, which tells me I have pending update actions and to use Startup Repair
  • Uninstall latest feature update, which fails and tells me to reset the PC
  • Resetting the PC, which fails
  • Using a drive with the Windows 10 Installation media to run Startup Repair through the "Repair this computer" option.

Is there anything else I can do to get my computer to boot short of formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows?

|
Hi thanks for reaching out! I'm Kyle M. a Microsoft Independent Advisor and a Microsoft community member like you. I'm glad to help you
As you have said on the post, you have done anything to restore your broken device because of the update I suggest that the last resort you were gonna do is reinstall the Windows fresh in able to use your PC then try to keep all your files from not formatting your drive when you were on the installation progress so you can save some files from your previous Windows version.

Keep safe and your Family!
Regards,
Kyle M.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Kyle, seems I have the same issue 

can you specify the steps as not sure how to try to keep all files from....: "fresh in able to use your PC then try to keep all your files from not formatting your drive when you were on the installation progress so you can save some files from your previous Windows version. 

Regards,

Sonja

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not seeing this on any of my 3 Windows 10 laptops. Sounds like the laptop lost power during the offline update process, thereby seriously damaging your installation.
Windows 10 Pro Slow Ring

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2020 Views 193 Applies to: