Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two user folders (previous and new one). please someone help me fix this.

Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" (folder name that I tried changing name to) splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple times, but it hasn't restored the device to previous state. This led to few other small issues like OneDrive not syncing and chrome not opening. I tried many methods and tutorials nothing seems to work for past 4days. Someone please help me fix this and ask if you need any other details to understand the issue better, Thanks.

Answer
Answer
I believe that in this case, it is best to create a new user from scratch, and then move the files to it.

Really changing the name of the user folder is a dangerous procedure, and causes many problems like now.

I am re-uploading the complete process below.

1. Press Windows + R keys to open the "Run" window;
2. Copy and paste the command

netplwiz

and press ok;

3. Click on the "Add" option;
4. Select the option "Do not sign in to a Microsoft account";
5. Choose a name and password for this profile and then proceed;
6. After the new profile is created, go back to the "User Accounts" screen, click on your user and then on "Properties". Select the "Group Membership" tab;
7. Mark the profile as Administrator and click on Ok;
8. Login with the new account;

If necessary, copy and paste the files from the old account to the new account:

9. Press "Windows flag" key + E to open File Explorer;
10. In File Explorer, select "This Computer" in the left column;
11. Under "This Computer", select "Windows (C:)";
12. Among the presented folders, select the "Users" folder;
13. Accessing the "Users" folder, select and access the folder with the name of your old account;
14. Open the folders inside the folder with the name of your old account, and copy the files to your new account.

Important: You must OPEN THE FOLDERS in your old account and COPY THE FILES to the new account, it's no use trying to copy the folders.

After migrating your data, delete your previous user:

15. Press Windows+R keys to open the Run window, type

netplwiz

and click OK;

16. Select your previous user and click Remove.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 2,074 Applies to: