Tried Everything. Can't Update Windows 10 Beyond v1709

I am using a 10 year-old Alienware (non Dell, built just before the takeover) ALX x58, with an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB, BIOS fully updated, drivers fully updated. It has an Intel Core i-7 975 4 core, (shows as 8 with hyper-threading) processor & 24gb DDR3 SDRAM..  I boot Windows 7 SP1 x64 and Windows 10 Pro plus Windows 10 Enterprise (x64) each on their own large partitions.   It's the first 2 I'm concerned about as I can't get the Win 10 to upgrade beyond 1709.  I get a Safe_OS Boot type error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 each time.  Tried disconnecting everything, clean installs, - every-which-way (about 30 times now) and yes the drives are clean.   Device Manager (showing hidden devices) has nothing flagged.

I'm worried as next January my main OS Windows 7 will be obsolete and I wont be able to upgrade it at this rate.

I'm a pensioner and can no longer afford shiny new super-gaming machines, much as I would like one.

My question is, what changed with Windows 10 versions beyond 1709 to make them so unfriendly?   

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2019 Views 665 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hopefully, Windows 10 1903 will work. In the meantime, I would launch the Feedback hub and detail the error message there, hopefully, the engineers can look into it and maybe remove that blocker.

send me the short link so I can vote on it and bring it to the attention of the Windows engineers.

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/54-how-to-su...

Another thing I would recommend you try then attempt the upgrade again:

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type the following command:

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Exit command prompt

Restart

If you have virtualization in the BIOS enabled, disable it then attempt the upgrade again.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.