Transferring Windows 8 key to clean install of Windows 11

I bought a retail Windows 8 Pro key direct from MS when it first came out. I upgraded to Windows 10 when that came out. The key isn't linked to my Microsoft account.

I am building a new PC that I want to put Windows 11 on. Can I use my old Windows 8 key?

I know I can't use the same key on 2 machines and it's definately a major hardware change so would it be better to remove the key from my Windows 10 machine first? What's the best way to do that? Can I then activate Windows 11 without a phone call? What would then happen to my windows 10 machine? Will it still be usuable but have the activation reminders and no personalisation options etc?

Thanks for any help or advice :)

Hello Matthew, how are you?

Sorry, unfortunately this should not work as the Windows 8 key cannot be used to activate Windows 11 when performing a clean install.

Perhaps the closest you'll get is to perform a clean install of Windows 8 on your computer to get it activated after removing the key from the old computer, after which you upgrade to Windows 10 and 11.

But the ideal is to acquire a new retail license for your Windows 11 and thus install it on your new computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Matthew, how are you?

Sorry, unfortunately this should not work as the Windows 8 key cannot be used to activate Windows 11 when performing a clean install.

Perhaps the closest you'll get is to perform a clean install of Windows 8 on your computer to get it activated after removing the key from the old computer, after which you upgrade to Windows 10 and 11.

But the ideal is to acquire a new retail license for your Windows 11 and thus install it on your new computer.

Actually, it did work. I just removed the key from my old Win 10 machine, then entered it into my new Win 11 machine, and it worked perfected. It went very smoothly. And I didn't have to buy another retail key.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 1,974 Applies to: