transferring photos from camera to PC

I now have windows 10 and a whole bag of problems that I never had with XP or Win 7

I want to transfer my photos from my Camera(s) to 'my pictures folder'

I used to just plug in my camera, a pop up would open up and ask me what I wanted to do,

NOW I plug in the camera, no pop up, nothing to show its found any of my cameras

I go to 'My Computer', yup its there, the camera or the card reader

I can open up the folder with my photos in there, but they are just file numbers

But the only way I can move them is make a New Folder and 'select all' and copy them over then rename them and the folder in 'My Pictures'

With Win 7 and XP it worked and worked well, so why has MS stopped this ?

This is a step backward, I still cant move my photos automatically

I have read all the other postings, they have one person give a reply, then he just moves on and everyone is left hanging

***There is no point in replying if you aren't going to follow it up to completion

What error message do you get when you try to simply drag the pictures over to your Pictures folder directly?
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Error message,? I don't get any error message, I never said I get an error message

I just want to know why the pop up don't happen any more when I connect a camera or flash drive

Renaming the photos, then creating a new folder, then renaming it, then dragging them to the folder, seems a step back ward

Then I have to delete them from my camera, it used to do that for you in previous windows (XP and Win 7)

old, not obsolete

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The name of the picture file is up to your camera, so I can't help that. If you don't like the name the camera names it, you will indeed have to rename the file however you wish (or maybe your camera has settings to pick a default name pattern that you like better).

But you shouldn't have to create a folder.  Why create a new folder if you already have a pictures folder?  You can just drag pictures directly to the picture folder that you already have.

--

Anyway, if you want the popup of options to appear when you first plugin a flash drive or camera, just turn on your AutoPlay settings.    I set mine to just skip showing the popup and open the folder for me, but you can set it to import pictures (or whatever else you want it to do):

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The camera doesn't name the photos, they are just a series of numbers, dependent on the make/type of camera

In 'My Pictures folder' where I will be putting the photos, the PC would give me the option of naming the folder (ie like a holiday place where the pictures were taken, Brighton,) the photos would then be imported into this folder, with whatever name you have given them (ie Brighton) then there was the option of deleting the photos of leaving

There would be another folder in my Pictures folder, with whatever name I gave them (ie Brighton)

Both XP and Win 7 would have a pop up with a box asking me what I wanted to do when the camera/flash drive was plugged in, view folders, copy photos, do nothing

If I chose copy photos, it would gibe me another pop up where I could name the folder and the pictures would go into that folder with the name I have given them

In my old XP/Win 7 PC, I had lots of folder with named photos, this was standard on Win7/XP, there was no going into settings

old, not obsolete

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this out... Microsoft made an optional package called Windows Essentials, and a program with it is the Windows Essentials Photo Gallery program.  When you use it as your picture import program (which can be the automatic choice when you plugin your camera using the same autoplay settings that have been there since Windows 95), it prompts for the name you want when you import each batch.

To try it, go to http://get.live.com and choose the Photo Gallery program.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 6, 2020 Views 96 Applies to: