Transferring a Windows 10 Digital Licence PC to a new owner?

My sister has a Windows 10 PC she is giving to my nephew and we are trying to figure out how to get the licence in his name? I need to do a full reinstall but with the licence tied to my sisters account how would I do it? It was a Windows 7 till she did the free upgrade. I have looked everywhere and can't get a straight answer. 
Hi James

Did Windows 7 come pre-installed on that laptop and was then upgraded to Windows 10?

If so, there is nothing your need to do, you just remove that device from your sisters Microsoft Account, then, when your nephew logs into their Microsoft account, that laptop and the Windows 10 licence will transfer over, it may not happen straight away, but it will happen . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It was a custom built Windows 7 desktop. That is the way I was thinking to do it but wasn't sure if the licence would transfer was afraid that it wouldn't activate after she removed it from her account and then doing a reinstall. Last resort if it wasn't possible to do the transfer was just creating a second log in on the computer and leaving her account on there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2020 Views 51 Applies to: