Train Simulator (version 1) loads onto Windows 7 (64 bit), but some of the keys do not work.

I have loaded the above simulation (from the original CD-Rom) onto my laptop which runs Windows 7 (64 bit). It appears to load ok. I have downloaded and installed the patches to upgrade to version 1.2 and also tried running it in Compatability Mode and as Administrator. The program appears to start whichever simulation activity I have selected, but I have found that some of the operating 'keys' are not working correctly, irrespective of which mode of traction I have selected.
The 'faulty ones are as follows:
Loco Brake 'Release' -- works on key ] but should be [
Loco Brake 'Apply'    --  works on key # but should be ]
Train Brake 'Release' -- works on key ; which is correct
Train Brake 'Apply'    --  should work on key ' but does not work on any key.                                                                             
I have tried using the facility to change the key settings, but I'm unable to change them only delete them.
I have installed this program before on my old computer which used Windows XP and it works no problem.
Will I have to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional in order to get this to work.                                                                    
Thanks for any help.                                                        Gordon.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Gordon.,

Train Simulator version 1 is compatible with Windows 7 64bit edition. Click here to verify.

Some of the issues can be resolved with updated drivers or by upgrading your hardware. After updating or upgrading it is important that you use the Train Simulator Troubleshooter to reprofile your new hardware and drivers. To do this follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Games, point to Train Simulator, and then click Train Simulator Troubleshooter.
   2. Click Change Video Driver.
   3. Click OK.
   4. Click Play Train Simulator.

Also, keep your Windows 7 up to date by checking for Windows updates.

Use your Start menu to check for updates

Windows Update is included in Control Panel. In the future, to check for updates (or if this webpage doesn’t open Windows Update automatically):

1. Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

If the above suggestions do not help, uninstall and reinstall the game again and check.

Refer the below link to uninstall or change the program

You already have Windows 7 installed but you have not specified the version. 

Installing Windows 7 professional might not help because you already have Windows 7 installed which is 64bit.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Azeez,

Thankyou for your reply.

I have followed your suggestions, downloaded the updates and changed the Video Driver in Train Simulator troubleshooter, so for whatever reason I find I can now change the Keyboard settings for various functions, albeit to ones I wouldn't normally use. I find I can now run the various simulation activities okay.

I have also tried loading some add-ons (which previously work okay on XP), the first one was 'East Coast 1' which took about 10 miutes to load, but does actually seem to work okay.  The second one I tried was 'London and South East', this again took over 10 minutes to load, but when I tried to run it the basic MSTS sceen came on then the whole program shut down.  I then tried 'EC1' which had previously worked, but this again shut down the whole program.  I've now uninstalled 'L&SE' and 'EC1' and the basic Train Simulator.

I then re-loaded the Train Simulator which I have now got to work okay (with altered Keyboard settings).  Finally I loaded the 2 add-ons again and the same thing happened. 

I've never had any problems with the Train Simulator or any of the many add-ons I've installed when using XP, only now when I'm using Windows 7 home Premium.

I'm completely at a loss to know what to do next !

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Gordon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gordon,

Check what error message you get in Event Viewer .

Open Event Viewer

Temporarily disable all security software and try, follow the steps mentioned below

Note : Enable all security software after performing troubleshooting steps.

Also check download and install all the related patches for your game form this link.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Azeez,

Thanks for your reply.

I've looked in the Event Viewer and there seems quite a lot of 'lines regarding 'Application Failure', probably too much info. to display here ?

I've disabled all the security items you suggest and checked that I have got the latest patches installed and lo-and-behold the Train Simulator seems to run ok, albeit that I still had to change many of the keyboard settings to get them to work correctly.  I then attempted to load about 6 add-ons that I had previously purchased and they seemed to run ok. (So far so good !!).  Finally I tried to load the various 'updates' for each of the add-ons, this is where I got onto a slipery slope !  One or two seemed to load ok, then the next ones didn't load correctly (or so it said), anyhow, when I tried running the Simulator it 'crashed' and wouldn't run anything. So, with some dificulty I uninstalled everything and started again, which is where I'm at now.

I get this feeling that there is still something fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing, my settings or the original program off the disc which doen't appear to load up as it does when using XP.  Am I missing something ???

Regards,  Gordon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

What happens if you configure it to run on Windows XP compatibility mode?

Marcelo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gordon,

Uninstall the game and install it in Windows XP compatibility mode and check since you did mention in your earlier post that it seemed to work fine in Windows XP.

Use this link to make older programs run :

Follow the steps in the link to run older programs in compatibility mode.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Marcelo, most programs written for Windows Vista/XP also work in this version of Windows, but some older programs might run poorly or not at all. If a program written for an earlier version of Windows doesn't run correctly, you can try changing the compatibility settings for the program, either manually or by using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter and hence it is important to run a program that does not work in Windows 7 to configure and run in Windows XP compatibility mode.

If you run a particular program in Windows XP compatibility mode, the program that worked fine in Windows XP will work more often than not work in Windows XP or Windows Vista as well. For more information click on the link given above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Were you able to resolve this?  I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Edition and I'm encountering the exact same issue with the exact same keys not working as you described in the original post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've managed to get the Train Sim working and most of the add-ons working too, I think this is because I've carried out what has been suggested above and also run it in XP (service Pack 3) mode, but I've still got the old problem that the keys I mentioned in the original post still do not perform their correct function.  I've had to allocate different keys to the functions which then seem to work as they should. 

I've had someone load my original MSTS onto their computer which runs XP operating system and it loads ok and all the keys work their correctly allocated functions.  So the problem is not the original program.  Where I go from here I don't know.

Thanks for sending your communication, I was begining to think that I was doing something wrong because I was the only person with that particular problem.

Any ideas you technical guys ??

Regards,

Gordon.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey Azeez please i need your in how to install new add-ons in Microsoft Train Simulator......i know where to download but i don't know how to use them .....can u help me please?? :D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone been able to use Raildriver, Windows 7 successfully ?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2024 Views 18,737 Applies to: