Touchpad and spacebar issues after forced automatic updates on Windows 10

I have had issues with my touchpad since February when my computer turned off and started installing updates by force. I had managed to more or less correct them until the recent forced installation of updates messed with it again. In order to use the touchpad I have to leave one finger on the pad and move the arrow with a second finger. If I use only one finger the pointer either does not move or it jumps all over the place. Right-click does not work either unless I do this. Scrolling with 2 fingers causes the pointer to jump or the page to scroll the opposite way. 3-finger gestures rarely work. This ridiculous problem has sometimes gone away by uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but it always comes back when turning on the computer the next day. The touchpad drivers are up to date.

The spacebar has also been affected by the installation of forced updates. Unless you press down on the middle of the bar it won´t register the command. When typing you usually press the edges of the bar and now this won't work. Just typing this I have had to go back and press the spacebar again about 14 times because the words come out with no space between them. 

These issues are so specifically frustrating and all the more so because they come from unwanted updates that were forced upon my computer without my consent. If you are going to continue with this practice at least fix the issues that come with your "updates".

Thank you.

Hello, ElectronicFog I'm an independent advisor and I will try to help you today.

Regarding your query, have you tried to install the drivers directly from the manufacturer's website?

I suggest you go to the official website of the manufacturer of your equipment, look for the model of it and then download and install the chipset, touchpad and keyboard drivers.

Apart from that, run the system troubleshooter tool. For it:
1. Press Windows keys + I
2. Select Update & Security.
3. Go to the Troubleshooter option.
4. Click Additional Troubleshooters.
5. Click keyboard
6. Run the troubleshooter.

Wait for it to scan and fix some bugs.

For the touchpad:
1. Press Windows keys + I
2. Then go to Systems
3. From the left panel select touch panel and verify that it is configured according to your needs.

If the problem persists, run the commands to correct errors in the system:
1. Press the Windows keys + x
2. Select Windows PowerShell (Administrator)
3. In the window that appears, write the following commands as they are shown and in the same order:

NOTE: You have to write each command one by one and give Enter:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
sfc /scannow

The above commands scan all protected system files and replace damaged files.

It may take a few minutes.

When finished, restart the PC.

Note: Do not close the command prompt window until the verification is completely finished. Once the process is complete, the results of the exam will appear.

Let me know if it worked, I'll be attentive to your answers
I hope this information will be useful.
Jesus C.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I tried all the suggestions but there has been no change. The only thing that leads to the touchpad functioning is to leave the computer alone for a few minutes after it turns on. Then you have to use it as I explained with 1 finger on the pad at all times and it gradually begins to normalize. Right now it is functioning normally but every time you turn the computer on it is back to square one. You have to wait to regain the functions with 1, 2 and 3 fingers and the right click.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2024 Views 842 Applies to: