Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 Home Premium Reinstall OEM with $15 backup media

Hi, I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7005.

This laptop doesn't come with install disc, just restore disc which restores all the default bloatware along with the OS. Thanks Toshiba. I called their customer service department and they told me that they wont sell just an install disc, only the restore disc.

I called the Microsoft store and they told me there was a 95% chance that I could do a clean install with the Windows 7 Home Premium Backup Media and use the OEM key that comes with the laptop.

So riddle me this Microsoft, does anyone know for sure?

Any WHY doesn't install disc come with laptops anymore? I have my guesses but wow does it suck.

If it doesnt work, is there a work around? Or will I have to do a system restore and manually delete all the extra BS, which is no longer a “clean install”

Thanks!

Answer
Answer

Your message didn't say you bought the disks so I was thinking of the included backup and image software in Windows 7 that lets you create your own disks. Your message title says they were $15, didn't catch that. What you bought probably can do a clean install for you - if it can you will need to activate by phone.

Call Microsoft Using Manual Phone Activation
If you are currently installing Windows - at the Enter Your Product Key page, do not enter your key and uncheck "Automatically Activate When Online" then click OK/Next to finish the installation.

If you have trouble activating Windows 7 open the Windows Activation Wizard while in Windows 7 to obtain a phone number to call Microsoft and activate Windows:
1. When you reach the desktop click Start, then in the Search box type:  slui.exe 4
2. Press Enter on your Keyboard
3. Select your Country.
4. Select the Phone Activation option, then call the number given and hold for a real person.

For more details: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2022 Views 41,443 Applies to: