Thunderbolt Networking is Broken in Later Versions of Windows 10

Hi, there.

There seems to be an issue regarding Thunderbolt Networking (a feature of Thunderbolt which establishes a peer-to-peer connection emulating a virtual Ethernet adapter) where file transfers to a host stall in any version of Windows 10 Home beyond build 1809.  Downloads from a remote host work fine, but uploads do not.

I wanted to reach out to the community to see if there is a consensus on this feature being broken.  I am using a QNAP Thunderbolt 3 (TB3) NAS (QNAP model TS-453BT3) as the host with a Lenovo Yoga 920 (model Yoga 920-13IKB Laptop [ideapad] - Type 80Y7).

I have done extensive testing on this issue (including loading numerous builds of Windows 10 Home) to isolate where the problem begins.  I've detailed this on the QNAP forums. As long as I do not update the OS beyond build 1809, the functionality works correctly.

There is another issue with the TB3 connectivity which may or may not be related to Windows 10.  The laptop will, after a period of time, select the lower-power connected source (e.g. the NAS) over the high-power source (e.g. the Dock) to attempt to charge.  Of course, the system discharges faster than it can charge, and it will not switch back until you disconnect the lower-power source.  This is a real problem when you're trying to use the NAS as an attached drive.

I've sent my Lenovo in for repair on multiple occasions for both issues.  Each time, they replace the motherboard in an attempt to address.  I've heard others have had success running a different OS (e.g. Linux).  Also, my Macs have zero problem with the transactions with the same device using the same connectivity.

Please let me know if this sounds familiar and whether you've heard anything from Microsoft recognizing the issues.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same problem, I have 2 machines connected via TB. One windows machine running Windows 10 Pro 1909, build 18363.778 and a mac running Mojave. I have setup thunderbolt networking and I experience the same issue. When I download files form my mac to my windows machine everything works as expected, but when I try to download files form my windows machine I get no transfer at all.

I have dual booted the same PC that was running windows into ubuntu and use the other mac and tried to transfer files and everything worked as expected.

It seems that Thunderbolt networking is broken on windows 10

:(

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for chiming-in with your experience.  That sounds consistent with all of the testing myself and the QNAP community has performed over these months.  It's crazy this hasn't been addressed by Microsoft as the October 2018 build was the last one to perform without failure.

I'm not sure if you had a chance to read through the thread at the QNAP Forums, but there might be a workaround.  If you enable Internet Connection Sharing for this Thunderbolt Networking interface (or any other apparently), suddenly Windows 10 has the capability to upload via the Thunderbolt Networking connection.  I have not tested this myself, but there have been a few reports of success with this workaround.

If that's the case, then there's, clearly, something in the Windows 10 security protocols that is getting in the way of the uploads on the Thunderbolt Networking virtual network interface.  (Imagine that, right?)  This would seem to be a symptom that could lead to an easy diagnosis and fix by Microsoft, but, at this point, no one knows how to bring it to their attention.

I've asked QNAP to make an effort on their end (via their official support channels).  Unfortunately, it's been a known issue for so long that their developers do not have this as a high priority.  If I could find a better support channel at Microsoft to raise this issue, then, perhaps, someone could address it if they were so inclined.

This lack of a call to action shows that TB3 users are a niche subset of Windows users.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

I read your port on the QNAP forum, you mention the "Thunderbolt software from Intel/Lenovo" what version are you on?
I am a bit confused since there are 2 different Intel pieces of software, one that I got mine from Gigabyte since I use their add-in card.
with the following relevant versions:

Networking Driver version : 16.3.61.2
NVM Firmware version: 20.00

I did try the workaround of sharing the connections, but that did not really work,  I can only upload about 135-140 mb of any large file, then it dies.
Thanks for the tip on the workaround, shame it did not work to 100% :(

I am thinking about trying the Thunderbolt Control Center app you can download from the Microsoft Store, but I really don't want to screw up my setup. I use dual Apple Thunderbolt Displays via the TB connection and It was a bit finicky to get them to work in the first place.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I want to add that I still am playing around with this.

I added a Connection Security Rule in the Windows Firewall, the rule is a Authentication Exemption and it covers the entire TB network,

I made some progress now it can upload about 900mb before dying.

I need to try this without my dual monitors hooked up, or running the mac on the other TB port, see if it  will work then

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the tip,

I have had some success doing the following

1. I created this rule as you mentioned
2. I deleted the upper filter and lower filter as instructed in this post 
https://windows101tricks.com/fix-this-device-cannot-start-code-10-error-windows-10/
 3. I uninstalled the thunderbolt networking in Device manager and let it install again.
4. Restarted the computer

That's when my qnas TVS-x72xt connected to my Dell XPS15 via thunderbolt. I am using windows 10 1909 build..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Although not directly related to your Win Thunderbolt issues, two Win Thunderbolt 3 issues I've experienced many many times are: 1) Thunderbolt devices disappear from Device Mgr after Win 10 update and 2) Thunderbolt dock (or TB3 card) display output never works in W10 (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thunderbolt-3-device-gone-after-window-update-bios/60bef633-fc59-4191-a398-0e3853cf705f)

For me, this means there is little support  for TB3 from Windows (and likely no TB3 Win 10 testing) as these questions (and perhaps yours) are never addressed by MS Support (also submitted via Feedback Hub)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i was facing the same problem and the solution in the QNAP forums worked for me.

I wonder if there is way to ask windows to fix this...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It broke in the 19xx build, i tested yesterday, everything was ok in 18xx but broken after and upto 2004.

There apears to be zero recognition from microsoft on this problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It broke in the 19xx build, i tested yesterday, everything was ok in 18xx but broken after and upto 2004.

There apears to be zero recognition from microsoft on this problem.

Thanks for confirming. Yes, i figured after reading in QNAP forum that this was a Windows issue. Not hat Microsoft will care what I do, but I ditched PC because of this and moved back to using my 5 year old Macbook Pro...

What a ridiculous issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What's crazy is this broke over a year ago, and there is like zero acknowledgement from Microsoft or path forward.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2021 Views 2,261 Applies to: