THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER Error after Windows 10 Update

After I installed Windows 10 everything was working fine until I started getting a blue screen error and my laptop would restart. I have an Acer laptop and I noticed that a couple of other people had these issues. My computer takes awhile to start, I login to windows 10 and after about 10 seconds I get a blue screen that says my computer ran into a problem and is restarting to prevent damage. Then it gives me the error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. This has been happening for a couple of days now and there is nothing I can do about it to fix it. I checked to see if it was the graphics card driver by uninstalling it, but it still does this. I started the laptop in safe mode and it works, so I went into device manager and there is a yellow error triangle next to the Windows generic PnP Monitor device. I don't know if this is what is causing the issue but my laptop is currently unable to be used because of this Windows 10 update. Really regretting it. Please help ASAP.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

1. What is the make and model of the PC?

2. Are you able to boot to the desktop normally?

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly.  It may very well be a defective video card driver issue.

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check.

a. Press Windows key + X from desktop and choose Device Manager.
b. Check if you are seeing a yellow exclamation next to Display Adapaters.
c. If you find a yellow exclamation mark, then can right-click on the device and click on Properties to check the device status for any error.

I would suggest you to update the video card driver and also other drivers which are failing from manufacturer's website.
Download and install drivers
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,
Yaseer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I already tried to check the device manager, as stated before. There are no yellow triangles next to any device. Here are the dump files and system information that was requested.

http://1drv.ms/1NyOWDl

I would really like to get this issue resolved.

Thanks.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still waiting to get this resolved. Haven't been able to use my laptop for about a week now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So after about 2 or 3 weeks I have no reply as to resolving this issue. I tried to reinstall windows 10 with the option in the troubleshooting area of windows but it is still happening. Really disappointed with the lack of support from Microsoft here... Please help me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for bumping the thread and sorry I missed your previous post.

This was related to your video driver

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't access my computer in the regular mode because it blue screens as soon as it starts up after I log in. So I went into safe mode and uninstalled the video driver but can't install the new one because internet isn't available on safe mode. But after I uninstalled the driver I tried to start windows again but as soon as windows starts to load after logging in, the computer goes to the same blue screen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Win 10 does have safe mode with internet.  You could always download it on another computer and put it on a dvd/USB
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is happening to me too 😭 whenever I open up Minecraft it starts fine but whenever I use a Shader pack and go into a server it's fine for about 1 minute but then it just freezes and it shows the Blue screen of death (BSOD) and it will say "your computer ran into a problem we will restart your computer" and at the very bottom of the screen it will say "look on the internet for the problem: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DRIVER" or something like that. Please help me it has been happening since I installed shaders mod for Minecraft :(

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After doing some research and some troubleshooting I fixed the issue. The video driver is definitely the issue that is causing the crash. I tried uninstalling the driver multiple times in safe mode but it continued to reinstall back onto my computer, causing the issue to continue. I found out that windows automatically updates and installs missing drivers when the computer starts up. To fix the issue I marked my wireless connection as a metered connection which basically doesn't allow windows to automatically install this driver to save data. I then went onto the AMD website and installed a beta version (15.8) of the driver which fixed the issue. Just to my curiosity I decided to manually install the following Windows update: 

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics

After installation of this Windows update I reset my computer and the issue started to happen again. So I went back into safe mode, uninstalled the driver completely, reset my computer normally and installed the AMD-Catalyst 15.8 Beta Software Suite and updated my graphics driver with that.

I hope this draws some attention of Microsoft so that they can understand that their automatic update for the AMD Radeon R5 graphics card is what is causing the issue.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2021 Views 2,552 Applies to: