This is how Mouse Size Options should be improved, at both appearance and under the hood. (with concept images and an example cursor theme.)

First, this is what the settings look like now.

And this is what they should look like.

The cursor shown in the concept picture above, does have a border thickness of 25% of the original one, and does have a fill color opacity of 50%.
My suggestion is that, the "Change pointer border thickness" slide bar should be able to switch values from 1, 2, 3, ... 16. This changes the "stroke-width" parameter of the svg files from 1/16 to 1. So if the slider is at the left most position, tooltip should show a number "1", and the "stroke-width" should be set to 1/16, or 0.0625‬.
The "Change pointer fill color opacity" slide bar should be able to switch values from 0 to 100. 50 means 50% opacity. Which means the "fill-opacity" parameter of the fill color should be set to 0.5.
Transparent fill color is essential for the cursor to not block tooltips. So make the "Change pointer fill color opacity" also change the opacity of every other app-specific cursors. Like the cross cursor in excel, or custom cursors in games like AOE.

Now I start talking about all the changes under the hood.

1st. Fix a stupid mistake. The "ns.svg" has a "stroke-width:0.99351" parameter. This is obviously a mistake. Other svg files have a stroke width of 1.

2nd. To be able to implement the settings above, you need to somehow store the cursor "hotspot" coordinated inside the svg files. Or the generated cur files will have the hotspots at the wrong place. Maybe you can add a dot which has a stroke width of 0, and color of FFFFFD, something like that.

3rd. Various cursor tweaks. Add a guideline in the center of the text select cursor. Position some cursors in the center so it will be easier to add hotspots. (Examples shown below.)

4th. Make the cursors occupy the whole canvas area!
Currently the cursors generated are too small, compared to the canvas. The largest cursors have a size of 256x256, but the arrow cursor looks like a 128x128 one.
This is a bigger problem than it seems. Windows will zoom other custom cursors as well, since other cursors used almost the entire area of the 32x32 canvas, the zoomed version is twice as large as the arrow cursor. Like this example.

5th. MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO SCREEN CAPTURE THE LARGE CURSOR!
Now whenever I take a screenshot, or record the screen, the cursor shown in the screenshot or the recorded video, will be a small one.
It wasn't like this at first, only since the update at October. This one:
October 8, 2019—KB4517389 (OS Build 18362.418)
I have to fake every screenshot, shot everything first, add the cursor in later. Like any screenshots shown in this post.

Even if everything I asked for become true, the Excel's selection cursor will still be too large to... Whoops, it becomes small in my screenshot, I don't know where the cursor files are, so this time I cannot export the cursor image and fake the real screen I've seen.

Anyway. Here's my example cursor theme, including the modified svg files.

LargeCursorFix v2.7z

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCpZIsLP3uBgshBF5DBT1EaTEmCRw?e=lP4a3i

Here's a brief preview.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

You should put this type of stuff in the Feedback in the Feedback Hub.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

You should put this type of stuff in the Feedback in the Feedback Hub.

Really?

With Feedback Hub I cannot insert pictures in between texts. And I cannot change text color, add BOLD text, etc.

I cannot figure out a way to convert my post here into a Feedback, unless I... try to cover s much as I can in the feedback, but still include a link of this post, in my feedback? Is that okay?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 28, 2020 Views 387 Applies to: