These files might be harmful to your computer - between local disks

Hi all,

I'm having this annoing thing going on: a message from Windows Security "These files might be harmful to your computer".
When it pops-up I am moving files from my harddrive to another local harddrive or SSD.

I tried unchecking Eneble Protect Mode and putting Allowed levels for this zone to medium-high in the Internet Propperties>security>internet tab, and I tried putting  Allowed levels for this zone to low in  Internet Propperties>security>local intranet.

In all the cases I can find on the internet is when people are moving things to servers or to a nas, but in my case it is all on my pc.
Anybody an idea how to solve this?

Question Info

Last updated December 5, 2019 Views 4,174 Applies to:

First I would recommend turning your protected mode back on.  That is important to the security of your computer, even if you don't use Internet Explorer, and in this case, it is not related to the problem.

This message you are seeing was added to Windows Vista and has been included in since then.  It shows up when it sees the mark of the web (yes it's a real thing) on a file, meaning the file originated from some other computer and could be dangerous.

To disable this message, you can go to the file properties to unblock the file.  This works on Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1:

Another option is to make sure your other computers (or NAS storage device) is listed as being on your local intranet in Internet Options

• Click Security tab.
  • Click Local Intranet
  • Click Sites button.
  • Click Advanced button.
  • Enter the IP Address of the other machine or server and click Add
  • Click Close

• Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
    Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shawn Keene,
    Thanks for your reply,

Option 1 you mentioned wont work for me, because I'm not going to do that to all my files on my drive.
    And option 2 neither, as I mentioned the problem is on my local harddrives. I cant add D:\ to the zone list.

Sorry this didn't help.

The files still originated from some other computer or the web, right?  How did that file end up on your D: drive?

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
    Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't matter what I'm moving or coping to another drive, photo's or a text document etc.

The dialog pops up only when I'm moving/ coping something from my D hdd. This does not happen when I do the same thing from one of my ssd's or my other hdd. 
    Now I recently installed my computer, and I'm using the same drives. so I don't think that's the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This issue may occur due to virus or conflict between third party applications.

Method 1:
    I would suggest you to boot the computer to safe mode and check if the issue occurs or not. If the issue does not occur in Safe mode, set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I would suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Step 2:
    If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode perform a clean boot and check.

Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 2:
    If the issue persists, I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note:
    1)
    The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.
    2) If you run the virus scan the program that is infected with virus will get deleted. So you have to reinstall the program. Also if the files and folders are affected with virus then they might even get deleted.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

BS...

I just started getting this warning message out of the blue today, 4/15/14, I installed Windows from an 8.1 disk from scratch 3 months ago, I am an expert.

1)  I never added the ips of my intranet pc's to "internet options," yet I've never had a problem with this security dialog

2) I'm not seeing this dialog because of blocked files, in fact, EVERY file is affected, *.bmp, *.jpg even which cannot harm you in any way.

3) It's affecting EVERY file I move from my other machine, on a right-click move as well, which means the context menu for the specific file type isn't even in consideration at this point.  However, what's important here is many of the files I've tried have NOT been FROM the web.  This "mark of the web" is just that!

. stop assuming and being presumptuous.

Sorry this didn't help.

yea thats the same issue i have. i think the problem lies with the re install. since be both did. i am an expert too, but cant find a fix for this. im still stuck with this.

just like you say, no files came from the internet but the did come from the 'previous install' so that why windows whines about unsecure files 'not originating from THIS pc', i think

Sorry this didn't help.