"The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed" on Windows 11

I have virtualisation enabled in my BIOS and I have WSL enabled in Windows Features, but when I try to install Ubuntu I get the following error.

Answer
Answer
Hi Nigel,
I am Sumit here to assist you with this question.

Please enable Hypervisor platform and Virtual machine platform in Optional features. Also, look below:

WSL Troubleshooting
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/tr...

"Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed."
Please enable the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature and ensure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.

Check the Hyper-V system requirements
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

If your machine is a VM, please enable nested virtualization manually. Launch powershell with admin, and run:

PowerShell

Copy
Set-VMProcessor -VMName <VMName> -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true
Please follow guidelines from your PC's manufacturer on how to enable virtualization. In general, this can involve using the system BIOS to ensure that these features are enabled on your CPU. Instructions for this process can vary from machine to machine, please see this article from Bleeping Computer for an example.

Restart your machine after enabling the Virtual Machine Platform optional component.

Additionally, if you have 3rd party hypervisors installed (Such as VMware or VirtualBox) then please ensure you have these on the latest versions which can support HyperV (VMware 15.5.5+ and VirtualBox 6+) or are turned off.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2023 Views 5,839 Applies to: