The Shortcut arrow on my shortcut has changed to strange symbols

On each and every one of my shortcuts on my desktop, the arrow has changed to different symbols. Over the last few days, it has changed to a green check mark, a gray "x", and 2 people next to each other in a box. I have done a full system scan, used the system file checker, a system restore, and a manual virus check. After doing all of these, the shortcuts went back to normal, but then changed to the strange icons just a few hours later; so I don't think it did much. I then went on Google for answers everyone said it is caused by a backup program or Norton 360, however i do not have either of them and i have checked. The shortcuts work fine and so does my computer, but this is freaking me out right now because I don't know why it's happening.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community forum.

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

Have you made any hardware or software changes to your computer?

I would suggest you uninstall Windows Shortcut Arrow Editor and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Right-click in the screen’s bottom-left corner and choose the Control Panel from the pop-up menu.

b. When the Control Panel appears, choose Uninstall a Program from the Programs category.

c. The Uninstall or Change a Program window appears, listing your currently installed programs, their publisher, size, installation date, and version number.

d. Click the Windows Shortcut Arrow Editor program and then click Uninstall.

You may also run Microsoft safety scanner and check for viruses or malwares
Refer:
Microsoft safety scanner
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, so far it has worked. The shortcut arrow is back and normal and it has lasted longer than before.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, well what i meant by "it" was that i updated to windows 8.1, it was fixed for a day, and now the problem is back, however the shortcut arrow disappeared this time. Also, to answer your question, i did not make any hardware changes, however i accidentally install Norton 360 a week before. I did uninstall it instantly, but maybe it didn't uninstall correctly and still changed the shortcut icons. Maybe now it realized that it is not supposed to be there, but the original shortcut arrow was not restored.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

I would suggest you to run System file checker(SFC) and check if it helps.
Refer:
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Note: It may ask for Windows Installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 5,766 Applies to: