Temp folder keeps losing permissions?

My Temp folder under my username keeps losing permission. I am the sole user of this computer and the administrator. Everytime I reboot, the temp folder loses permissions and I can't write to it. SYSTEM and my username disappears. I have to manually add myself and SYSTEM every time.

I have done a sfc /scannow - no errors.
I have added Everyone with full permissions, same things happening.

No matter what I do, when I reboot, the Temp folder goes back.

Who is changing the permissions of this folder? Why?

Windows 8 x64.
The temp folder in the Windows directory is intended to be this way.  Temp files related to programs being run by a user are in your %appdata% directory under your user file.  This is by design to virtualize and isolate processes per user and prevent writing to the system directories.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Shawn - 

If windows is designed to do this, I will make the statement that it is a design flaw.  Case in point...  Google Drive, Quickbooks Accounting Software and others - these programs will not function properly because of this windows design with the "temp" folder.  Google drive will not automatically start because of the permissions issue and renders a python.dll error unless manually started and ran as an administrator.  Quickbooks is a far worse issue - and I'm not sure if it is entirely a Quickbooks issue or an issue with SQL in general, but here is the symptom.  Upon launch, Quickbooks appears to start and the software loads - it never gets past this point however and in the meantime, a background process occurs that creates hundreds of thousands of folders with a file called dbdata11.dll  This will continue until the user launches control panel and terminates quickbooks manually.  Here is the rub... THE USER HAS NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT QUICKBOOKS IS CHEWING UP DISKSPACE BY CREATING THESE FOLERS WITH FILES IN THEM.  Just this morning I hand to remedy this on a client's computer.  There were over 285,000 files/folders totaling 85GB of disk space because of this issue.

Is there anyway to disable or stop this "design" from occurring?  Currently, the only solution I am aware of is to run google drive as an administrator and run quickbooks as an administrator.  Running quickbooks as an administrator is not really that big of a deal, however, running google drive as an administrator will keep it from auto loading if a windows restart occurs.  That can be very problematic.  If the end user doesn't know that their google drive is not running, their files won't be synced with the cloud until they realize this to be the case.  If something happened to their computer or hard drive, no synced copy will exist in the cloud - all because of some design issue deemed necessary by Microsoft.  I don't think the user should be "forced" to have this issue to contend with - and MANY quickbooks users are not even aware of it.  Most google drive users just launch as administrator, but some might not beware of the consequences of a restart and not having google drive auto-load at startup because it is being ran with elevated permissions and appears to need to be started manually when ran with those elevated permissions.

If you are aware of a way around this that is PERMANENT in nature, please share with this group?

Thank you,

Wes

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Virtualization is the design, but you are right, what you describe is certainly not how it should be working.  I don't presently have Google Drive installed, let me fire up a virtual machine and give it a try.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem with DropBox. Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Tristan

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it seems to be a problem that Adobe Acrobat (specially version XI)  is providing... try to uninstall it... 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problems, my quickbooks do the same, dropbox and google drive the same. Quickbooks also keep on filling up my harddrive with utter nonsense. All you read is to stick a band aid over it rather than fixing it. Even when i install programs i need to say run as administrator even though i am the only administrator on the pc with the correct privileges. Do not know if this is a Win 8 problem as i did not have this problems with win 7.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For QuickBooks spewing extra files:  I can't help. I've never used QuickBooks and have no knowledge about the internal programming of the program.  I would ask you to contact the QuickBooks tech support department for that. Since it's happened to two people here, it might even be something they already know of and can provide an easy fix.

As for the permissions, I can confirm that Google Drive and Drop Box operate normally under a fresh account, and require no admin rights or "run as admin".  I would try the outlined here to try to resolve this quickly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stephan - 

I discovered that the problem was being caused by an illegal copy of adobe acrobat.  The solution was simple - uninstall the hacked copy of adobe acrobat and all of the issues went away.  No more permission issues on the temp folder, no more 100's of thousands of quickbooks temp files, no more anything - period.  I had found the problem described on an adobe website actually.  It could also be a bootleg copy of other adobe products where the hackers posted a free version of adobe acrobat or creative studio, or photoshop or other products.  They have the user replace a couple of the .dll files that are installed by adobe and these replacement .dll's are the culprit that cause the permissions to switch on the temp folder.

My suggestion is that if you have a hacked adobe product on your pc, get rid of it and the problems with the temp folder and the tmp files that qb creates will go away.

Good Luck!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stephan - 

I discovered that the problem was being caused by an illegal copy of adobe acrobat.  The solution was simple - uninstall the hacked copy of adobe acrobat and all of the issues went away.  No more permission issues on the temp folder, no more 100's of thousands of quickbooks temp files, no more anything - period.  I had found the problem described on an adobe website actually.  It could also be a bootleg copy of other adobe products where the hackers posted a free version of adobe acrobat or creative studio, or photoshop or other products.  They have the user replace a couple of the .dll files that are installed by adobe and these replacement .dll's are the culprit that cause the permissions to switch on the temp folder.

My suggestion is that if you have a hacked adobe product on your pc, get rid of it and the problems with the temp folder and the tmp files that qb creates will go away.

Good Luck!

That's the right answer!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problems with permissions quickbooks, Word, Excel and a couple other programs. I DO NOT HAVE AN ILEGAL COPY OF ADOBE ACROBAT. So tell me what's causing my problems!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 10,323 Applies to: