Taskbar in Windows 10

I have a HP Desktop and a HP laptop. Both are updated to Windows 10 Pro Creators Update, and the last patch was this June, 13, 2017.

I use the taskbar but with double width (the taskbar is nothing else but a window) and hiding, and it was locked. Since a couple of weeks,  whenever I restart or start the PC or the laptop the taskbar is reduced to single width. I have to unlock it to change it back to double width.  Since some days, I do not lock it anymore, which apparently helps to keep the double width when restarted rep. started. In most restarts/starts it helps but not always.

I did research about it but cannot find a solution at all. I assume it is some glitch.

Hi,

One of the possible reasons why you are experiencing issues with the Taskbar in your Windows 10 is due to a User Profile corruption. To address this concern, we suggest creating a Test User Profile. Using the Test User Profile, check if you will have the same issue with your Taskbar. This is for us to test if the issue is isolated with one User Profile or with multiple accounts.

To create a Test User Profile, follow these steps:

1. On Search, type Settings then hit the Enter key.
  2. On Settings window, select Accounts.
  3. Select Family & other people.
  4. Select Add someone else to this PC.
  5. Name the User Profile as TEST.
  6. Assign a password for TEST user, then select Next.
  7. Sign in TEST user.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if further assistance is needed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am quite with up to point 4, but there is no User Profile?

There is a box in which one can enter an email or a phone number. So, I guess entering TEST would not be right.

Please, explain

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response. You can actually create a user account without entering an email or a Microsoft account. For further information about how to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10, visit this link.

If further assistance is needed, we are here to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The link did not help. I am still confused since the new account categorically wants an email address. I do not want to create another email account at all. I already have enough. Is there no other way?

I must mention that not locking the taskbar leaves the taskbar at double size (two Lines) even after shutdown and start.

However, after a Restart the taskbar reduces to the single wide. this is pretty weird, isn't it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Creating a Test User Profile is the best way that could help us address the issue you're having with your taskbar. If the taskbar will be working without any issues on the Test User Profile, it means that there are some system file corruption on the current user profile you're using.

We are looking forward for an update about your concern.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I uninstalled Google Toolbar a couple of days ago. The reason was that I got a lot of script errors when opening SAFE websites. It did not happen on every site! Since I uninstalled the taskbar, I tried to lock the taskbar, which worked fine. Then after restarts and fresh starts the taskbar no longer reduced  itself to single wide but remained double wide.

Consequently, I have to assume that the Google Taskbar is causing all sorts of issues. The question is: who is to blame?

Google or Microsoft? Probably both. Google, because they are not taking action to resolve a well known issue. Microsoft apparently tries to keep Google Taskbar out in favor of their Bing Bar. I do not use the latter, and I decided not to use MS's IE 11 or Edge. I request both parties to get together, resolving the issues. I now use Chrome as my default browser. Occasionally also Firefox or Opera for certain purposes, the others cannot provide.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a funny thin with taskbar. On my desktop PC it is working ok again. on my laptop it is more mysterious. To have the taskbar remain at two lines, I must keep the taskbar UNLOCKED to reappear with two lines. However. restarting the laptop shows a one line taskbar. I will not as suggested open a second account to test how it works under the test account. I do not belive that it would yield a different result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you have any other concerns/questions, don't hesitate to post it on this forum. Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I must come back on this subject for a good reason. I have a new PC, and the issue with the taskbar remains . If I lock the taskbar with two lines visible, it reduces to one line after a start/restart. So, I think it is a real MS problem, and a solution is either not present or MS is not interested to deliver a solution. It has nothing to do with the account. It is simply a bug in Windows 10. MS solve it!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still no solution for this bug? The new PC is brand new, and the issue still occurs. It has nothing to do with the account, whether MS or personal or whatever. Please MS, come up with an answer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2018 Views 108 Applies to: