Taskbar and config.sys

I have been using Windows 10 for several weeks. A few weeks ago, my Start button and taskbar icons stopped working. I saw a fix here that started with creating a config.sys with an alternate name, then using it to safeboot. This worked, but the fix had to be repeated every couple of weeks.

Now the same problem is happening, but msconfig.sys won't open. After I allow 6 minutes for it to try, I get a message that says it "did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." So I can't take the first step in the fix.

Not only that, but when I tried to open Task Manager, I got a message that says "File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or, if one is already installed, created a association in the Default Programs Control Panel." Then I immediately got the message C:\Windows\system 32\taskmgr.exe "The service cannot accept Control messages at this time."

When I tried to download the article from this site on Troubleshooting, it wouldn't download.

The computer also will not create a new folder to move previously saved files into.

Will this prevent the Anniversary Update from being installed? Is the Anniversary Update likely to correct any or all of this? If not, what do I need to do?

My computer is a three-year-old HP Pavilion desktop. I don't know whether this is related to the above, but the HP Support "Check for Messages and Updates" does the first step of its process (Connect to Servers), then "hangs" on "Downloading Message and Update Definitions." I let it try for ten minutes, then stopped it.

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the start button and the taskbar. I will try to help you with this issue.

I would like to let you know that when some system files and settings are either broken or corrupt then it would for sure have its effect on Windows Update. There are chances that the update might not get installed.

I suggest you to run the SFC scan tool and restart the computer. Let us know the result of the scan.

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption. The sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible. Ensure to install any pending updates on the system and remember to restart the computer.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Keep us informed to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

UPDATE on my problem above: When I had to shut down my PC a couple of hours ago, it would not shut down. The message "Task Host Window is shutting down background tasks". I let it continue for 12 minutes, then pressed the power button on the CPU to shut it down. Now that I have tried to restart it, it will not let me get to th login - the "activity balls" just keep spinning. I  am sending this from my tablet.

SO I can't run anything until I can start the computer and log on.

All of this started, I think, with a regular update, because the problems show up on Friday mornings. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Unplug all external devices connected to the PC and restart the computer to check if you are able to get to the desktop screen.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I had hoped, when I started the  computer this morning, it booted up and logged on with no difficulty at all! Apparently the 8/02/2016 Update fixed all my problems!

Let's hope it stays fixed. If it does not operate normally on Friday morning, I will let you know.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue. Your efforts to resolve this issue is very much appreciated.

Feel free to post your query here on Windows Forums, we would be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

More on the above:

So much for hope.

August 2, at 9:15 a.m.,  the computer started normally, with no issues, logon took two minutes, fifty seconds (2:50), shutdown took 25 seconds (:25). Later in the day, logon = 2:00, shutdown = :20

August 3 – as logon began, at 1:00 into the boot process, a notice popped up in the Navigation area : “…failed to connect to Windows Group Policy Client Server…” and quickly popped off. Logon = 1:25, shutdown= :20

August 9 – Same “…failed to connect to Windows Group Policy Client Server…” message in the Navigation area, logon 1:30, shutdown 5:15.

August 10 - Same “…failed to connect to Windows Group Policy Client Server…” in the Navigation area, logon = 1:45, shutdown = 5:24.

August 10 - Same “…failed to connect to Windows Group Policy Client Server…” in the Navigation area, logon = 1:29, shutdown = 5:35. In addition, an icon that seemed to be a gold padlock appeared briefly with the other Notification panel icons. Later, as the shutdown process began, the message “Task Host is shutting down background programs” came up on the main screen, but shutdown continued.

August 10 - Same “…failed to connect to Windows Group Policy Client Server…” in the Navigation area, logon = 1:28, shutdown = 5:25. there was no “Task Host …” message.

August 11 - Same “…failed to connect to Windows Group Policy Client Server…” in the Navigation area, logon = 1:40, shutdown was a problem: When I went to the Start panel to shut down, I got the same “Task Host” message as earlier, but then the screen went back to the Start panel. The computer did not shut down. I went to the Settings area of the start panel to see the Windows Update info in Settings Update and Security, but there was no info at Windows Update and none of the items on that list responded when I tried to access them.

I went back to Start and clicked Power & Shutdown again. The “Task Host” message came up again with the info Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUpload” I let it try to shutdown for 4:40, then clicked the “Shutdown Anyway” button. From there, shutdown took 5:20.

I know this is long, but I wanted to be sure I gave you avery clue that I have as to the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2: Perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first step in the recommended action is to start the computer in Safe Mode. When I try to access Settings to get to configsys, there is no link to open it. Windows Update has nosub menu. Windows Settings - recovery doesn't open.

How do I get access to the system to be able to address my problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2020 Views 100 Applies to: