Task Manager shows less RAM than PC originally has.

Today I used my PC to download some drivers for win 7 32-bit because I was installing Win7 Ultimate on another PC, and i guess something might have happened without me realizing...for example if i thought i was downloading the thing but was actually installing it on my PC...

so the problem is that I have 4GB of RAM, and now Task Manager shows 2.6, when it usually showed 3,9 or more:

Please help! Thank You!
Answer
Answer

Hi Kaloyan,

Thank you for the detail response.

Are you using equal GB RAM on two slots?

Since your system
showing usable memory at 3.9GB is perfectly correct for 4 GB RAM because some are reserved for the memory on your video card as long with other resources of your PC.

You want to keep the same size modules paired together in banks, if you do not, they will not run in dual channel mode. 2x1 gig in a bank, and 2x2 gig in another bank will run in dual channel mode. If you put different size memory together in the same bank, like a 2 gig stick, and a 1 gig stick into the same bank, they will not run in dual channel mode. If you put a single odd stick into 1 slot of a bank, your memory will not run in dual channel mode.

Hope the information provided is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2024 Views 4,386 Applies to: