Task Manager showing incorrect CPU usage

After I went from my Ryzen build to Z370 build, I noticed that Task Manager is showing CPU usage wrong.

While Task manager is showing me total CPU usage at 50%, Hwinfo is showing me about 25% total CPU usage.

You can also take a look at this picture: https://image.ibb.co/m0e4iR/wrong_cpu_usage.png

I'm also guessing that it have to do something with my Hyper-V that I'm running. 

I'm using 2 CPU cores (out of 6 available from i5 8600k), and both of those cores should be at around 50% load in that Hyper-V machine. It's basically running one software and that's it.

Anyway, I don't know what else to make out of it, I guess someone from Microsoft will just have to take a look at it and release some patch in the future.

I'm using Latest 1709 version with all updates.

Build version: 16299.64

x64 bit

i5 8600k

Z370-G ASUS motherboard

Hi Simon,

The CPU usage depends on the programs running in the background. The CPU Utilization is the overall busyness of the system. You can check which application uses the most of your CPU on the Processes tab, then click the CPU tab to ordering it from increasing to decreasing. Can we ask for a screenshot of it?

Another is third-party programs like antivirus programs. We suggest performing a clean boot. It's for us to know if the issue will persist when running the computer on a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

Overall, we appreciate that you've shared with us. We'll gather additional details and information about your concern that will help determine the cause and address it. The feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses to see what we're doing about your submission. For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

. In order to submit a new feedback, please follow the steps below: 

1. Type Feedback Hub in the Cortana search and press Enter.     
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, click + Add new feedback tab.     
  3. Select the Problem, and share the details you want to us to know, and choose the appropriate category and subcategory.   

Note: Reproduce your concern if possible while is monitoring is enabled. To do this, click Begin monitoring or Start Capture to start recording and Stop monitoring when you’re done.  

4. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.   
  5. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted.   
  6. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.   
  7. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (It will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>). 

Revisit frequently for status updates. If you have further queries, don't hesitate to post back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You are not alone, I noticed this a few months ago (2017-11-17 to be honest).

I'm not sure when it started...

I have the same issue on a i7-3610QM, also a friend mine with a i7-4790.

The CPU usage show on the "Performance" tab differs from the "Details" tab.

You can use any other softwares (process explorer, process hacker, perfmon.exe, etc) to monitor the cpu usage and see the HUGE difference between the values.

I also created a small binary just to create a busy loop running on N threads.

As far I know, it should use the number of cores I set on the startup.

So my cpu has 8 cores, 100/8 = +-12.5% per core.

If I run only one thread, it says something like > 20% on the task manager performance tab.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2022 Views 3,881 Applies to: