Take this seriously. You need to resolve my issue or I will do everything within my power to publicize this entire debacle and pursue legal action.

I Have been fighting this for months, Don not say 1 more word of apology.  The KB3000850 update that installed with Windows Update caused my Asus K55a notebook's Windows 8.1 Pro operating system to become corrupt.  I purchased the machine from best buy over a year ago, sealed from the factory with Windows 8.0 pre-installed on it.  As you know most retailers do not include a copy of the operating system restore media in the packaging anymore.  I updated the machine to windows 8.1 through the windows app store after doing all previously automatically recommended updates through Windows Update.  Through my college I purchased the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack upgrade.  Everything worked well very well and I expected no less from these products from Microsoft and Asus.  Then the day came that I chose to install all recommended updates as I do frequently Including KB3000850.  I had to restart after the updates and the system would not boot into windows due to files being corrupted or missing.  I was shocked but, I did create multiple backups of the system onto a 1.5Tb Western Digital external hard drive.  Now mind you I have been an Information Technology professional for quite a while now.  I am very familiar with the Windows Recovery Environment, or WinRE.  The does not see any restore images available. BTW I tried refresh and reset from different stored points and none worked.  In WinRE it does not auto detect any images, or allow you to browse to another drive for them, only to network locations, and I do not have any of those.  At this point my problem became your problem, and started costing You money. I called  Microsoft Support.  I would speak to a technician after stressful long waits I am told ultimately by the technician that I must buy a new product key.  First of all this is wrong I should not have to spend my money as a direct result to a Microsoft pushed update.  So I called back, and called back and... no result.  I spent well over 10 hours trying to get you to tell me how to resolve my problem.  While this is going on I have already started my semester in college  taking classes for a degree in Information Technology, computer courses.  I find on my own that I can create restore media for windows from another computer for Windows 8.1 Pro.  Computer lab at school, you need Administrator privileges to create the usb restore media!  After spending many more hours trying to find a computer the entire time you are paying your tech guys on the phone to not help me.  I have to ask the department head of computer sciences to let me have him help me make restore media using his computer being that it was the only one with the proper privileges.  Windows 8.1 Pro usb restore media I am able to boot and try to repair the damage that your update did.  There is no option to repair the operating system, only a full restore.,  At this point I'm livid, being a major proponent of Microsoft in many ways for over a decade. I lose all of the information I have on my system due to the necessary restore.  I rebuild, log in with my Microsoft account, do all of my updates and then 2 weeks in I get hit with a blue screen that says you need to activate Windows.... ... I call and I call, no help other than I can pay for Premium Support and they can help me get the key from "within the operating system" which makes no sense because if it was there there shouldn't be a problem unless I am being extorted into just giving up and buying new from MS.  Another individual told me it was within the bios or the motherboard.....  You are well over 20 man hours lost paying your phone techs.  I call Asus direct to get it from them and I spend 5-6 hours on the phone calling, then calling again to get someone who can tell me how to do this and even with the serial number, I am told the only option is to RMA.  I try the forums... nothing except for this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/no-boot-after-installing-windows-update-kb3000850/96531400-ec27-4afb-b2a8-3fa9792ad49b

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/no-boot-after-installing-windows-update-kb3000850/fdcfcd18-66cb-4575-98a0-15334260b9e8

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/asus-k55a-multiple-partitions-access-to-restore/867eb864-65fb-4804-8528-cbcd71ee374a

and here I am.  The WinRE and backup/restore tools within the program there is no way to restore the backups that I made sucessfully on that external hard drive.  Now this all could have been resolved by you just giving me a copy of Windows 8.1 for the one you corrupted!  I am still in disbelieve of all that you have allowed me to go through even as I write this.  I have health conditions and I have been hospitalized in the time since this whole thing began due to stress.  Please I'm begging you to resolve this immediately or I will do everything in my power to make it known how Microsoft handled business with me and if I can pursue justice through legal action I will.

Sincerely,

JCC

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Despite this being a duplicate, I am replying:

Forget what everyone said. You most probably won't need to buy another copy of Windows.

Do you have Windows installed right now and can get to the desktop? If yes, read http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/ to know how to obtain your original product key. This will give you the Windows 8 product key (NOT Windows 8 PRO).

Which version have you installed right now? (Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro)?

If you are using Windows 8, you can enter your product key and it should activate.

If you are using Windows 8 PRO, you cannot activate it currently.

You must first download Windows 8 (not PRO), wipe out everything you have installed, install Windows 8, activate it using your product key (the one from BIOS).

Now you may upgrade it to Windows 8.1 Pro, by using the product key which you must have received when you bought the Pro pack.

Please try to follow instructions as they are, and stop complaining - it only makes it harder to offer you assistance. Be very clear, you are no talking to Microsoft here, you are talking to volunteers. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It would help if you were to give a brief, succinct description of where the problem stands right now.   How were your backups made?  It seems like the primary complaint at this point is not wanting to reinstall the OS.  Is this correct?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Create Restore Media tool from Microsoft had multiple options one of which being x64 8.1 Pro. That is the option I chose because that was what I wanted to restore :/ I cannot activate anything as the OEM product key was only accessible inside the installed OEM x64 8.0 factory installation, which was written completely over written and reinstalled instead of restored as the word implies. Asus after 5-6 hours on technical support said there was no way to extrapolate the product key even though I had the serial number and had completely registered the device the week I got it.  They said the only prion would be to RMA the device.  I thought that was one of the purposes for which serial numbers and registration exist.  It is what it is.  To further complicate to problem due to an error completely and entirely my fault, I misplaced the product key card that came in the packaged software box for the W 8.1 Pro Pack Upgrade in the process of moving.  Now I have the box with multiple sets of numbers on it which One would think One could extrapolate the product key from with the assistance of either Best Buy or Microsoft.  Impossoble according to the respective tech support call representatives(I can no longer figure out how many man hours Microsoft must have paid from the beginning of the issue carrying on as what is being written is read and on until this issue is fully And completely resolved.  I digress.  I know there are multiple solutions for this problem.  

Now I do have 3 backups of my entire system created with the operating system's "backup entire system/recovery" tool.  But no one can seem to tell me how to actually carry out the task of using one of the backups to restore the system with Windows software.  Is this something that Microsoft "conveniently" left out?  How is this possible?  Was it removed when I (oh my gosh I just realized) the 8.11 Pro Pack upgrade?  No because I just recalled that back sevral months ago I had a similar problem but I just wanted to restore to one of the backups I made. (Writing a portion of this in the waiting room of my doctors office) I'm tired.  This all could have been resolved by just giving me a valid product key code. I don't even need a copy of the software!  Downloaded or otherwise.  This will no longer suffice in and of its own.  At the very least I Strongly suggest you give me a key that works and a fully clear explaination of why there is inconveniently no way to restore the backups that Windows makes.  I hope you understand the implications of this.  When I say you I am addressing Microsoft directly, not the individuals personally. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have followed every single instruction as I received them.  When I have said you it was not toward the individuals taking the time to help, but Microsoft directly. I believe Microsoft employees must read this. The duplicate was my error and I have minimized the damage to the best of my ability. I will try Swapnil's advice and will report findings accordingly. If there is more to be said to me in flame or otherwise I suggest that all reply to

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/take-this-seriously-you-need-to-resolve-my-issue/127b3c93-d0c7-4bad-925d-f3ad7d56efc0

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are mostly volunteer users, not Microsoft employees, so we can't give you anything but advice.  I note that you must have skipped over the part in my previous response where I asked for a brief, succinct  description of the current issue.   Is the problem now that you have the OS installed but not activated, and you need to restore a system image?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please try to follow instructions as they are, and stop complaining - it only makes it harder to offer you assistance. Be very clear, you are no talking to Microsoft here, you are talking to volunteers. 

Well this is a bit of a shock to be honest.  The URL says "answers.microsoft.com" and the website has Microsoft logos  on it so why on earth is this forum being maintained by volunteers and not Microsoft staff?

Don't get me wrong you volunteers are doing an incredible job but you should not be the buffer between Microsoft and its customers.

This entire scenario is worse than I ever imagined it could be - I'm actually quite upset by the problems, stress and money I'm losing trying to keep my Windows 8.1 OS afloat.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

RA

Do you really think that MS would invest hundreds of millions of dollars to support a free service?  They wont.

Instead of focusing on the support it might be better if you focuesed on your problem and that we the voluntters might help you fix those.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

why on earth is this forum being maintained by volunteers and not Microsoft staff?

By definition, a Community forum is primarily a peer-to-peer support forum.

The MSDN & TechNet forums are "staffed by Microsoft" as are the Partner forums.

Consumers (i.e., Home Users) may obtain Microsoft-sponsored support via the Answer Desk => http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 6, 2021 Views 618 Applies to: